Thread: I'm looking for an office chair

artmaker Guest

Default I'm looking for an office chair

Hope this is the right spot.

I need a chair to use by my computer. The last two I've had have that blasted air suspension post thing. Well I'm pretty heavy and those NEVER last very long for me.
    And they seem to cost more to replace than I paid for the chair.

I'm trying to find something, probably have to be vintage, with a metal SCREW base.
    Here is a picture of one.

It doesn't have to look like that exactly, but that screw up post is what I'm specifically looking for.
    Tall is best. I'm a leaner so a nice tall back is a must. Arms optional. Wide seat.
    And price? If I could afford an antique I wouldn't be looking here. Trying to keep this as low as possible. (Don't care about finish, or wood type at all. I can either paint, cover, or do something. I just need functional.)
    Under 200 but less is better. Even junk yard quality would be ok as long as it's not broken. Main thing is that indestructible screw post.

If ANYONE comes across one of those? Could you please go to my website and hit that contact button?
    Or.... I see I can subscribe to this thread. (not all forums have that.) Just reply, I'll come see whatcha got.

Thanks in advance.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: I'm looking for an office chair

I sometimes see that type of vintage desk chair on my local Craigslist for 200 or less. Have you checked yours?

Here are a couple currently on my local CL:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/atq/2661563862.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/atq/2631251073.html
    Last edited by organic_smallhome; 10-22-2011 at 02:27 AM.

samfarkus Guest

I like steelcase criterion chairs, but they arent organic or real wood or anything.

But they are the best functional office chairs in existence. Even better than herman miller, etc.

Oh they are the most unimpressive looking 800$ chairs you'll ever find (buy em used for 250$)

I love showing my friends the chair and they point to their 'executive leather' chair they got at walmart for 80$ that lasts about 6 months. My chair is 14 years old and counting

Most people will just think you cheaped out and have a 30$ chair. It's funny.
    Last edited by samfarkus; 10-22-2011 at 07:32 AM.

artmaker Guest

For the life of me I can't figure out how to use craigslist. That link is for Boston.
    HOW do you change that???? I can't find any link or anything to change location.
    "Shop local" comes up with Muskegan mi. That is NOT local. (clear on the other side of the state.)
    I removed everything and went to craigslist.org. Click search and some stupid exe file downloads. (which I can't use. Macs don't use exe files.)

I never did have any luck on that site.

Oh and I googled steelcase criterion chairs under images to see and every single one seems to have that air shock post.
    I don't care if the chair is wood or not. And the one I have now is "nice leather" which my cats have pretty much destroyed. So leather isn't really a good choice either.
    I just want sturdy, tall, high back and screw post.

organic_smallhome Guest

Go to: http://www.craigslist.org

In the upper left corner, click on the big purple "craigslist." This will take you to a listing of states. Scroll down to find "Michigan" and then click on the town/city nearest you to see what they have available. For example, if you click on "Detroit metro," you will be taken to the CL page for all services and sales for that area of Michigan. Click on "furniture" and/or "antiques" under the "for sale" category, then enter a term in the "search for" box at top of page. The terms I tried were: antique desk chair, vintage desk chair, caster chair.

artmaker Guest

Oh that was too easy! I didn't click at first because it said boston. Just tried. Then again, and viola!

Emailed one guy already. Can't tell from the picture but this MIGHT work. I emailed to ask so we'll see.
    http://holland.craigslist.org/fuo/2664309200.html

Hey one thing is for sure. I can find nice chairs there dirt cheap! Even if they give out in a year, 20.00 or even less for a chair isn't bad!
    Thanks!