Thread: Protecting the bookshelf from the critters

tattoo Guest

Default Protecting the bookshelf from the critters

It has been said that bed bugs can show up in books. there is a friend of mine who will only buy books from a trusted source because she has this antique bookcase and does not want to risk damaging it if bed bugs show up and she has to clean the book case.

I think she is overreacting. If she wants to ensure that no bed bugs show up, she should disinfect the books. Is thre a way to clean the books of bed bugs? Does canned air work?

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Protecting the bookshelf from the critters

I believe temp of over about 115 degrees kills bed bugs. Amount of time required probably varies from egg to juvenile to adult, but books are small enough it shouldn't be too hard to get to that temp for a several hours, which I think would be plenty. In the summer, even a closed-up car or transparent box in the sun should take care of them. I'm sure a search for "bed bugs heat treatment" or some such will give many suggestions and specific times and temps required.

i guess she read this! Sounds like one grumpy retired minister....lol

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...53/detail.html
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

tattoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hglaber View Post
    I believe temp of over about 115 degrees kills bed bugs. Amount of time required probably varies from egg to juvenile to adult, but books are small enough it shouldn't be too hard to get to that temp for a several hours, which I think would be plenty. In the summer, even a closed-up car or transparent box in the sun should take care of them. I'm sure a search for "bed bugs heat treatment" or some such will give many suggestions and specific times and temps required.
    I have also heard that you can suffocate them by putting the book in a sealed bag for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    i guess she read this! Sounds like one grumpy retired minister....lol

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...53/detail.html
    Wow. That is real bad news.