Thread: H&M on Craigslist

yeonandjamie Guest

Default H&M on Craigslist

I saw a Hancock and Moore sofa today that looks like it's got water damage - the nailheads around the rear, bottom corners were rusty and I felt along the underside of the sofa and the wood bar going from the front to back on the one side felt like it might be rotting away - made a crinkly, crackling sound as I ran my hand along it.

My question is, should the water damage be a concern? Does this compromise the integrity of the sofa and it's stability? Other than the back corners, the rest of the sofa looks like it's in pretty good shape.

Also, is the damage something that can be repaired? The sofa is listed for $250 so I figured I might be able to spend a little bit more to try to get it into better shape.

I asked the people selling it about the damage but they were unsure as to the cause as their story is they are selling the sofa for a friend who's moved from the area.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'll try to attach some pictures - the right rear corner is very noticeably damaged with some of the leather having worn off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-4.jpeg 
Views:	463 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	2772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-5.jpeg 
Views:	453 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	2773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-3.jpeg 
Views:	470 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	2774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-2.jpeg 
Views:	434 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	2775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-1.jpeg 
Views:	452 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	2776

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Craigslist H&M Sofa Advice

I would pass on it, if I were you, and just keep looking. If you can't afford a new one, then expand your Craigslist search! I live in MA, but found my iron bed on the DC craigslist. I know some good movers in the New England area, so I just arranged for delivery, and everything went well.

That is most definitely water damage, probably a flooded basement. It cannot be repaired, the sofa is ruined. However, the complete failure of the piece will be very slow, provided its dried out and not still wet. Considering that sofa is $ 3K or more new, then $ 250 (or less if you barter) is a fraction of the cost. Definitely do not try to fix it, will be money wasted as the piece is terminal. However, if you can get another 5 years out of it before its ready for the dump, then that's not a bad price to pay. If there are pets in the house where it comes from. make sure you pull the cushions and check for flea eggs. If you see any evidence of larve, leave it be. Fleas love to nest in sofas, and once in your house are difficult to get rid of. Can't tell you how many times I've seen that...
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

yeonandjamie Guest

Thanks for the replies. We decided not to buy the sofa as my husband just isn't interested in having a damaged piece of furniture - and, as Duane mentioned, we were afraid of the possible presence of fleas as the owner did have dogs. Just not worth the headaches that might be involved...

Thanks again for the input!

Buying used upholstery, as well as mattresses - means you are buying the prior owner's lifestyle as well. Some of it can be nasty. Other pieces come from very well-kept and clean homes. Buyer beware!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.