Thread: Have you heard of....

jlwalter Guest

Default Have you heard of....

I am just starting to learn more about good furniture. I am glad I found this sight before going the Pottery Barn/ Crate n Barrel route. In my search for well crafted, made in the USA furniture I came across this guy (http://www.craftsmantables.com/).

I still have a lot to lear and would welcome any opinions on the quality of this furniture. I know it's hard to tell from pictures but I thought someone more experienced than me could shed some light.

Thanks.

Jeff

Default Re: Have you heard of....

Those tables are mechanically sound from what I can tell of the website, but they are belt-sanded, and have what appears to be an uninspired lacquer finish. I'm sure they would stand the test of time, but the maker's design form is off, he has FAR too much mass in the based of the tables most of which are topped by a skinny 7/8" top. Let your eyes wander over the forms and you will see the tables are out of balance, with the top looking like it doesn't belong on that base. And the paint jobs on the bases look right out of China. What that maker needs to do is reduce the base sizes by 1/3, use a 5/4 top, scrape the top instead of sanding it and learn how to paint instead of spraying with a gun, and then he'd have some cool stuff.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jlwalter Guest

Wow. I do have a lot to learn. Great points. I came across one of your post of a piece that was made for one of the forum members: JL Treharn Sheraton Coffee Table. Cherry Top, Heritage White Base

Not sure if the link I added worked but it was under Resource Photos.

Under the assumption that there are no dumb questions and it never hurts to ask; would this be something that could be produced as a full size dining table?

Thanks for the comments.

jeff

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jlwalter Guest

Thank you!!