It never ceases to amaze me how much 'buzz' the term "Made by the Amish" generates among consumers looking for quality, durable goods. Perhaps because we all remember the movie "Witness", with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis!

Amish-made furniture products are decent enough for the most part, but they are not 'hand-made' in the true sense, and certainly not done in the manner of a master craftsman. Amish woodworking shops are the same as most any other woodworking shop in the USA except they are not tied to the electrical grid (forbidden by their culture). Instead, they usually have one of two huge Caterpillar diesel engines out back roaring at full speed to supply power to their shop, and many of the modern tools they use are hydraulic rather than electric. Other than that, the approach to furniture-making is largely the same as any other shop. With those huge diesels out back running full steam and belching out black smoke, they're not very 'green' shops if that matters to anyone.

Amish culture forbids driving for example, so you'll never see anyone Amish behind the wheel of a car or truck. However, they don't all go to work in a horse drawn buggy. Typically they will purchase and own a truck and then hire someone non-Amish to drive it to the work destination, and they ride in the back! Look in any paper in an Amish community and you will see ads for drivers all the time.

I have one Amish-made line in my store, and its actually the lowest end line I carry (Canal Dover brand). Its nothing exceptional, but its sturdy, well-constructed, and made of quality materials to a price point. It is definitely not heirloom quality, however - nor is it meant to be. So if you're shopping furniture, my advice is to not pay attention to the phrase 'Made by the Amish" because it adds nothing to the item. I know of no Amish woodworkers that I would consider Master Cabinentmakers though there is a Mennonite shop outside Chambersburg PA that comes pretty close to doing high-grade work.

Buy 'Amish-made' furniture as you would any other piece, on its own merits as furniture and don't get caught up in the "quaintness" of the marketing.