Thread: Steel Wool is your friend

Default Steel Wool is your friend

# 0000 super fine steel wool can fix all sorts of things on furniture, even small scratches on topcoated leather! Use with the grain of the wood to remove many surface imperfections and marks. Use the super fine grade as it has a very light 'cut'.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Steel Wool is your friend

Will it fix water marks/rings? If so, could you explain how to do it, Duane? I'm curious as to how to do it without removing the finish?

Default Re: Steel Wool is your friend

Steel wool will not help if the 'ring' is below the topcoat. Steel wool flattens the topcoat and smooths it, so its ideal to take off paint from moving and bumping the walls, accumulated grunge and hairline scratches, and leveling a finish.

If the finish is lacquer, then a ring below the surface has penetrated the topcoat and you can only get that out with a product called "No Blush", which 'opens up' the topcoat and lets the humidity / moisture causing the blush to escape, the closes up as it dries. 90% of the time that's heat - not water damage. When a hot item is placed atop the surface, it opens the finish and moisture gets absorbed from the heat. As it cools off, the topcoat closes up again. Ever put a hot plate on a wooden surface and then notice a light stick to it when you clear the dishes later on? That's a heat damaged topcoat. With No Blush, you can open the topcoat, allow it to adjust, then it will seal back up and finish with a light recoat of the lacquer and steel wool it to level. I've done it many times.

# 1 cause of heat damage is Pizza Boxes on the table top. Keep 'em off the table!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.