Thread: Hancock and Moore Weston Mocha and Auburn Copper

casey Guest

Smile Hancock and Moore Weston Mocha and Auburn Copper

Ok, Duane, I am trying to decide between these two leathers. Your opinions are welcome. Either will work well, I believe, in my family room. The Auburn Copper has more of a texture, where the Weston Mocha is very smooth. Can you explain what surface grain, special effects and serviceability numbers mean??? Does one have an advantage in any way over the other or are they pretty comparable?

I decided to stay away from the Town and Country due to the China origin and the finishing process.

Are these leathers from Europe - any idea where??? These are both analine leathers, correct? ANy and all information is appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Ok, Duane, I am trying to decide between these two leathers. Your opinions are welcome. Either will work well, I believe, in my family room. The Auburn Copper has more of a texture, where the Weston Mocha is very smooth. Can you explain what surface grain, special effects and serviceability numbers mean??? Does one have an advantage in any way over the other or are they pretty comparable?

I decided to stay away from the Town and Country due to the China origin and the finishing process.

Are these leathers from Europe - any idea where??? These are both analine leathers, correct? ANy and all information is appreciated.

Thank you so much.
    Sure! Here's a rundown on these two:

Weston is a Price Class II, an lighter weight "Pull-Up" leather that is an aniline from Italy. It does have a semi-gloss finish to it and its a modern update of the older 'glazed' leather. It's classed as 'unprotected' but in reality has a protective topcoat of teflon on it. Serviceability is a "3", which means it will repel most stains other then oil or acid based, and those it may or may not absorb. In my experience with Weston, its been very durable and resistant to damage. Surface Grain is a "3", which means lightly sanded and barely noticeable. Special Effects is a "3" which means that it has an injection of oil or wax to create a color burst when stretched during the upholstery process, hence the name "Pull-Up".

Auburn is done by one of the remaining few remaining USA tanneries in Maine. Unfortunately it is being discontinued and there is no new stock being ordered at H&M. They are already out of the Copper colorway, sorry.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

casey Guest

Thank, Duane. I was gravitating toward the Weston Mocha and now my mind is made up! It is a pretty color and seems to be a deep brown with a slight burgundy casr to it, but very subtle, in a certain light.

What is a pull-up leather??

Having never owned leather furniture - a crazy question - is it cold in the winter??? Would assume it would be cooler in the summer?

So if I go with the Weston Mocha, it definitely comes from Italy and not finished like the T and Country??? That is a big concern. I have no interest in purchasing anything from China or that is processed, finished, etc. in China.

Thanks, Duane.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Thank, Duane. I was gravitating toward the Weston Mocha and now my mind is made up! It is a pretty color and seems to be a deep brown with a slight burgundy casr to it, but very subtle, in a certain light.

Its a nice hide, very elegant looking as are most Italian leathers.

What is a pull-up leather??

If you take your leather sample and stretch it taut in your hands, then press on the backside of the leather with your fingers you will see it lighten up where your fingers push up. That means when its placed on the furniture during the upholstery process, it will lighten slightly around the hard corners of the piece, to give you a look like this:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1352

Having never owned leather furniture - a crazy question - is it cold in the winter??? Would assume it would be cooler in the summer?

No, not good leather. In fact, I find that in the winter at my home the better leathers actually heat up from your body warmth and become quite cozy. In the summer they remain cool to the touch as well. If you have cheap leathers with lots of topcoating, then its a different story and they feel cold and almost sticky.

So if I go with the Weston Mocha, it definitely comes from Italy and not finished like the T and Country??? That is a big concern. I have no interest in purchasing anything from China or that is processed, finished, etc. in China.

Thats as good as the info from Hancock and Moore on Weston. To be any surer, I'd have to unload it off the boat myself
    I think that's a good choice, should be a very nice piece in that hide.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.