Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy!

organic_smallhome Guest

Default New Puppy!

16 weeks old. Desperately needs to be neutered--he's overly "interested" in our female maltese.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1934.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	3156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1935.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	3157  

Default Re: New Puppy!

Cute! Oh man.....puppies. The only reason you don't kill 'em is because they ARE so cute. I am SO glad our Westie is almost 2 years old, he's finally turning into almost-a-good dog.

FYI, neutering age is 6 months, you still have a ways to go. He's just curious right now, not sexually mature. Have fun!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks, Duane. Yeah, it's our first time raising a puppy. He's some kind of yorkie mix. I've been wondering about the neutering age. I've read that you have to wait until 6 months, especially in smaller breeds. It's also our first time raising a terrier, so we are completely unfamiliar with the breed. He's already shown a digging propensity. Glad to hear your Westie has turned out to be an almost-good dog--lol. Did you take him to puppy kindergarten? I've never done that before and someone suggested that it would be a good idea, but I wonder if it's really worth it?

Yes, they're not even sexually mature at the age your little guy is at. Terriers are smart, and VERY strong willed as a breed. One of the harder dogs to train. They're bred to go to ground and love to get in the bushed and let the mud n' dirt fly.

No puppy kindergarten for any of our dogs, though I suppose its not a bad idea. Be aware that his immune system is not fully protecting him yet and you want to minimize his exposure to other dogs until he's a little older.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Good advice, thank you!

Jane A Guest

He's so cute!

For an alternate opinion, I'd recommend a puppy kindergarten class, it really can help socialize your little guy. He'll get used to other dogs (puppies), people, and new places. If you ask your vet I don't think he'd discourage your getting him out. When they're young there is a "window" where exposure to new things helps them deal with new experiences their whole life. Plus, it sure is nice to have him learn some of the basics like sit, etc. And since it's your first time raising a puppy it might be nice to have a resource for any questions you may have.

Whatever you do, have fun with him!

aluebcke Guest

He's so adorable! We have a 2 year old Shih-zu, and took him to puppy training as soon as the vet said it was okay. He learned to sit, down, stay (although he's never been very good at that one), and walk properly on a leash.

Most importantly for puppy kindergarten, he socialized with other people and dogs. It's really important to socialize puppies with many different kinds of people and animals.

I did a ton of research before we got him (I'm OCD), and socialization was stressed in all the books.

We had ours neutered at between 4 and 5 months (don't recall exactly). The vet said it depended on their size as well as their age. He's a good dog...loves everyone but won't stay off the furniture.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks, Jane and Aluebcke! The vet gave the go-ahead, so I signed him up for a puppy kindergarten class. Next Monday is first class! I agree that socialization is absolutely crucial. I didn't know that when I brought home my first dog and I'm still paying the price: he's very fear-aggressive, but is now elderly--14--mostly blind and arthritic. Still, he has his good days. I hate to think about his passing: he's my heart, and will always be special.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default 4.4 lbs. of Serious Separation Anxiety

Okay, dog people: Care to chime in with advice? 4.4 lbs. of separation anxiety (what we came home to):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1938.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	3168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1937.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	3167  

organic_smallhome Guest

P.S. And those were our nice Orvis wooden gates! The first day, we put him in his crate--but we were gone for 6 hours, which is way too long for this little guy to hold it (he's only 4 months old)--way too long for any dog to be in a crate, according to my vet--and all the bedding was soaked with urine. So today, we decided to just gate him off with our other (non-aggressive) small dogs who, so far, just ignore him. I cleaned up all the bedding and left the crate door open, in case he wanted to sleep. Apparently, he went ballistic, instead. I think I'll have to take him to work with me tomorrow, and maybe next week, until we can figure out a solution. It will be the first question I ask at the puppy kindergarten class. But am totally open to any advice anyone has to offer! Yikes.