Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City sofa on craigslist

Kriskn Guest

Default City sofa on craigslist

I just put money down on this H&M City sofa and would like comments/opinions. It is 10 years old, they said it was lightly used, came from a very expensive and beautiful home. I like the looks but it is not the style or color we would pick if buying new. My husband is a little leary of the lighter color as we have pets and it will be our main sofa. On one cushion there is a small scrape mark where the color came off but it hides under the back cushion. There is also a small ink pen mark, will I be able to get that out? Also, under the seat cushions, the fabric that is there to hold them in place is worn some but I didn't think that was a big deal. Other than these few things, it is very clean and well kept.The couch is very comfortable but I do sink a little, not sure if that is normal as I have not had leather before. They inquired to their dealer about replacing the cores (my prompting) and were told that they would have to send in the old ones and that they have to be really worn in order to replace them. Any experience with that? This is only the 2nd H&M sofa that I have seen for sale in 4 months of looking. I passed up a burgandy Austin for $900 and regreted it, altho I don't think it sold. Any comments/opinions would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M sofa 2.JPG 
Views:	494 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	3164  

Default Re: City sofa on craigslist

Kristen, if I were you, I wouldn't try getting out spots or dealing with scrape marks. You'd be better off having someone come and fix the piece right the first time. However, that is just my humble opinion. Hope you enjoy your new sofa.

hglaber Guest

As for pets and soiling, for what it's worth I once shared a house where we had a white leather couch and a dog. The (protected) leather was surprisingly easy to maintain. Everything pretty much wiped right off with a damp cloth. Not sure how an aniline would compare, if that's what is on that piece.

Sofadoo Guest

Hard to tell from just the one pic but it looks to be in decent shape. It definitely must have been "lightly used" as stated. Any more photos?

I have never owned a leather but I just put in an order with Duane for one after doing a ton of research.

If the leather is a protected one than I wouldn't think the lighter color would matter when it comes to the dogs. Any dirt from their paws or oils from their fur should wipe right off of the protective top coat. Scratches might require a special product/professional attention however they'd really have to dig in to scratch the top coat.
    Aniline leathers, some more so than others, will have issues with body oils building up in high traffic areas. They can be cleaned though.

As for the ink mark- if it can't be completely removed, a professional can probably get most of it out. If you wanna try some products yourself, you might even be able to get it out. Just know that most products are made for particular leathers. You must first determine what kind of leather you've got.

Check out this forum for more info on leather repairs:
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...orum/index.php

...and FWIW, Hancock and Moore recommends Leather Magic products.

Kriskn Guest

Thank you for the replies.....I am pretty sure it is protected leather and I forgot to add that they were asking $1000.00 and I got it for $800. I would like some advice about replacing the cushion cores if anyone has experience with this. Duane? How do I know when to do it/should I see if the owners will still do it for me so it is free? Sofadoo, what model sofa did you order? Thats exciting, hopefully in a few years we will be ready to look at new H&M. The picture is lighter than the actual color, it is taupe or putty looking, hopefully easy to find chairs to go with it. I will see if I have a better pic to post.

Replacement Cushion Cores are FREE to the original owner with proof of purchase either from the Retail Customer or the Dealer. That's why its critical for everyone to register their new H&M pieces, because one you register you are in the H&M database as the original owner. In your case, Kriskn, you would have to get the prior owner to get them for you if they were willing to do so and provide proof of purchase.

If you have to buy them, you're looking at $ 675 plus probably $ 80 for shipping UPS or Fed Ex Ground.

You can get ink out with Ballpoint Ink Remover from Leather Magic. Its very potent and you MUST use it exactly like the directions or you can ruin your leather. Always blot with it - never rub.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Kriskn Guest

Thanks Duane. I have the sofa at home now and I think it really needs new cores. My husband really sinks in when he sits and is not that comfortable. The previous owner said they would order the new cores but she can't find her receipt. She called the store where purchased and they remember her but toss their records after 7 years. They said we may have to send in the old cores? Any advice on this? Is the sofa worth the extra $750 I would have to spend on new ones?

If the prior owner registered herself at H&M then that's all she needs, then she can call down and request them. Most folks never register their new H&M purchases and this is exactly why one should!

H&M doesn't want the old cores, and won't accept them. That dealer advice is incorrect.

Replacement of the originals is only to the first buyer. I can't say if that sofa is worth re-coring as I really can't tell from those very small photos. Is it the 9844 or the 9840?
    Duane Collie

Kriskn Guest

It says 9848 on a bottom cushion, in marker. The only other tags I see are the H&M and general care instructions. Is there a way to post larger pics? It seems I had to reduce them to post them. Thank you, Kris

You have to measure the overall length. If its 83" long, its a 9840. If its 93" long then its a 9844.

For photos, I size most mine at 7" in one dimension, then 150 dpi.
    Duane Collie