Thread: Confusion about married vs non-married covers

ffxjack Guest

Default Confusion about married vs non-married covers

Duane,
    As you know, I'm about to purchase a sofa from you soon but I think all this information is making me more confused (and I won't have time to ask you at the store since I'll have my kids distracting me).

If I get a piece in the Town and Country line that has the Document or Cavalier leathers, does that automatically mean they will be dyed and cut in China? From a quality standpoint, is there any possible advantage to a non-married cover?

Also, are there any protected, durable, non-squeaky leathers to choose from in the Town and Country line for any recliners in that promotional line?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ffxjack View Post
    Duane,
    As you know, I'm about to purchase a sofa from you soon but I think all this information is making me more confused (and I won't have time to ask you at the store since I'll have my kids distracting me).

If I get a piece in the Town and Country line that has the Document or Cavalier leathers, does that automatically mean they will be dyed and cut in China? From a quality standpoint, is there any possible advantage to a non-married cover?

Also, are there any protected, durable, non-squeaky leathers to choose from in the Town and Country line for any recliners in that promotional line?
    Thanks!

Hey Jack,

Married Cover means a pre-cut and pre-sewn leather "kit" is applied to a frame that is made domestically.

In H&M, Document and Cavalier are two leathers that come from Chinese tanneries, and they are used frequently in H&M's Town and Country promotion. When you see them as married covers, that means they were also cut and sewn in China in a specific color to fit a specific frame.

You can also get Document and Cavalier in non-married cover in the Town and Country program. That just means the hides are all loose at H&M in Hickory NC and will be cut and sewn there. Same Chinese leather, same tannery.

I really don't see a noticeable difference in H&M in tailoring on married vs. non-married cover, not from that maker. In Bradington=Young however, there is a noticeable difference so in that maker's line you can expect better tailoring in non-married cover.

Most the leathers in T&C are durable, non-squeaky hides. Its the expensive leathers than make the noise in motion furniture!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ffxjack Guest

Default leather quality and class

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    As far as quality of leathers go, is there any correlation between class of leather/country of origin and quality. Obviously, different people have different tastes and asthetics so I'm referring more to durability, suppleness, etc.

I don't know anything about leather but if it's anything like pricing on granite, it seems that pricing correlates more w/availability than any intrinsic quality.

Not really, other than currency variations and the like. Obviously the euro is strong against the dollar right now, and that makes European hides more expensive vs. Pacific Rim leathers.

Generally (and painting with a broad brush here), the European hides are considered tops. They don't use barbed wire in Europe and they don't have a lot of bugs, so the leather is generally finer in quality with less scars and natural markings.

Its all a trade-off on price vs budget more than anything. H&M has some great class 3 hides that are just as durable as the Class 1 leathers, but with all the richness and suppleness to them. Its just they cost more!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.