Thread: Clean-Clean-Clean that leather

Default Clean-Clean-Clean that leather

At least three times a week I hear from customers that they need to replace their 10 to 14 year old leather furniture because the hide is cracked and discolored. I ask them two questions and the answer is always the same:

Q: Have you ever cleaned and conditioned your leather? A: No.

Q: Did the store where you bought it tell you that you need to do that periodically? A: No.

Folks, I'm will tell you that you MUST do this to protect your investment. Its not optional. You wouldn't wear the same wool sport coat year after year without taking it to the dry cleaners once in a while and your leather furniture (and in your car as well) is no different. Its not hard to do, requires a minimum outlay of cash and time and will extend the life your leather by a considerable amount. I can do a recliner on all sides in less than 5 minutes with both cleaner and conditioner. a sofa takes 10 minutes. It doesn't take much time and pays back huge dividends in longevity. Leather that is cracked and discolored in 10 years will instead go as long as 40 years if you do this periodically, and you don't have to be obsessive about it, every 6 months is usually adequate. Please note that once leather is stained or cracked or discolored, these products will not restore them - they are for preventive maintenance only.

I recommend Leather Magic products in the 8 oz bottle size. One of cleaner and one of conditioner will do the job. They make a stronger product for protected leathers and a milder one for aniline (unprotected) hides. Be sure to buy the right one. If you would like to purchase from my store, easiest way is PayPal to dcollie@keepingroom.com. I have stopped carrying the 'kits' they make as almost no one needs the ink remover included in the kit, and by doing loose bottles I can fit them in a small flat rate USPS box and keep the shipping charge to a minimum.

If you just can't bring yourself pay for the cleaner/conditioner, then use Ivory Bar Soap on a white rag and clean your sofa with soap and water, but do not saturate. Its important to get all the soap off as well. It will leave your leather 'dry' looking, but is effective in removing oils and dirt.

Name:  LeatherMagic.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  157.3 KB

Last edited by drcollie; 12-22-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dogofresco Guest

Default Re: Clean-Clean-Clean that leather

I'd like to order one of these packages. I have a B-Y Reid Sofa (semi-aniline, married cover). Would that put me in the Aniline leather column?

Thank you,

M.Z.

For a semi-aniline, you want the Top-Coated product, same as Finished Leather. You can call the store to order, or often its easier to use PAYPAL sent to dcollie@keepingroom.com
    Duane Collie

Does it have to be Ivory bar soap for cleaning? How about Dial or Dove bar soap, for instance.

Ivory because as they say in the ad 99.44 % pure, of something like that. Some of the other soaps have additives, use at your own risk.
    Duane Collie