Thread: Decisions, Decisions

smakim Guest

Default Decisions, Decisions

After several months of reading the plethora of information on this great forum, reviewing the H&M website and having a few nice conversations with Duane on the phone. I am fairly confident that we have narrowed down our sofa selection to two models: September and the Parisian (one cushion version). We had previously considered the Austin, the Angelo, and the Bradley.

For those of you who happen to have these models in your homes, any comments on your level of satisfaction? Comfort?

I have also been narrowing down our leather selections. We are looking at Columbia Coffee and Aspen Tobacco. I am interested in a darker brown leather that is protected, but still has a nice feel to it. Also, we would prefer minimal shine and slipperiness (is that even a word?). We are only considering grade 1 or 2 options. Any other suggestions?

Also, Duane, the Parisian is listed at 41" deep, would it cost us anything to ask H&M to make the sofa closer to 39-40". Also, any idea which leather is on the Parisian 1279 on the H&M website? I like the matte look and color of that particular sofa. It is difficult to tell from other pictures that I have seen, if shine is coming from a flash or glare.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions

I think there is a very distinct style difference between the H&M September and Parisian. The September (which is a very good seller) is more about puffy cushions and the look of comfort, whereas the Parisian has the tight 'picture frame' back outlined with a row of nails that is very smart-looking, in conjunction with unique distinctive legs and a single cushion. Comfort-wise I would rate them about equal.

Colombia is the only leather worth considering in GR 1 for my money. In GR 2 leathers, the Aspen is the nicest of the protected leathers, but if you're willing to step outside that parameter, there are many nice GR 2 hides that are 'semi-protected' such as Ryan, Kipling, Atticus, Yardley. Most all the leathers in GR 1 and 2 are going to have sheen. We have to move into Gr 3 and 4 hides to get the sofa matte finishes I'm afraid.

That leather on the web photo has been discontinued for some time, it was a series named 'Canyon'.

Adding 1" to the back cushions to decrease the sitting depth an inch we can probably do by adding core material at no or a minimal charge. To go 2" less would be a frame mod and we're getting into custom charges for that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

squirt Guest

Duane, of the semi-protected you speak of above...which colors would be closest in color to the Aspen Tobacco? I have narrowed my selection down and thought I was settled on Aspen Tobacco for the color...bonus it was a grade 2 protected... but I am a bit concerned about the sheen so have been considering quintessence bark because color is similar and feel is luxurious, but worried about staining on that unprotected grade 3.

Aspen does not have a real high sheen to it, its pretty muted for a GR 2 protected leather. Its definitely not Quintessence, however - which is the super luxury and wonderfully sensuous hide. You'll never mistake Aspen for Quintessence! Leather Magic makes a barrier protection cream which works amazingly well on Quintessence, I've done several stain and spill demos in the store with it. If a GR 4 leather is in the budget and you want that super luxury hide, the barrier protection cream will effectively stop all stains and spill damage from what I've seen, though you have to re-apply it periodically.

All the other GR2 hides (semi-protected) are going to have more gloss than Aspen.
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

What? Really? I have a sample of Quintessance Bark which I love but I backed away from it because of it's potential lack of durability. And would this barrier protection cream work equally well on any leather that came unprotected? Does it change the look of the leather at all? How often should it be applied to keep up the protection needed on a fairly heavily used piece? Finally, do you have to keep throwing in information that makes me look to yet another leather to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Aspen does not have a real high sheen to it, its pretty muted for a GR 2 protected leather. Its definitely not Quintessence, however - which is the super luxury and wonderfully sensuous hide. You'll never mistake Aspen for Quintessence! Leather Magic makes a barrier protection cream which works amazingly well on Quintessence, I've done several stain and spill demos in the store with it. If a GR 4 leather is in the budget and you want that super luxury hide, the barrier protection cream will effectively stop all stains and spill damage from what I've seen, though you have to re-apply it periodically.

All the other GR2 hides (semi-protected) are going to have more gloss than Aspen.

I made a demo swatch with spills on it. Its better to let it sit 24 hours then I'll photo it and post it so you can see for yourself. Check back here tomorrow!
    Duane Collie

Name:  Sample.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  117.8 KB

Here's the demo swatch. I applied Leather Magic Protection Spray to the right half of the sample of Quintessence Saddle (used a lighter sample to show more staining). Quintessence is one of the more 'fragile' leathers in the line. I don't even bother with water based stain demos, they all dry. It's oils and acids that can stick. The Leather Magic spray initially darkened the leather slightly when applied, but that went away in a few hours. The stains initially were fairly severe, but as you can see most have faded out in 24 hours. Only the Johnson's Baby Oil (mineral oil) has any lasting effect 24 hours later. You can see the Leather Magic barrier didn't prevent it entirely, but lessened the severity of the oil stain. What will happen next is that in about 30 days, the oil stain where the protection was applied should be gone (or barely visible) and the untreated side will likely be as you see it now. I'll try to remember to photo this swatch this time next month.
    Duane Collie

Jane A Guest

That is very interesting. Would it be a good idea to use this spray on any unprotected leather in vulnurable areas like the seat cushions? How well would it combine with the Leather Magic Sun Protection you recommend for untinted windows?