Thread: Sundace Loveseat Sectional or September Sectional

benhancockjr Guest

Default Sundace Loveseat Sectional or September Sectional

I'm interested in getting opinions on either the Sundance Loveseat Sectional or September Sectional for our family room. One side would be against the wall; the other side would have the back visible as you're walking from the kitchen to family room or behind towards our sun porch (see attached photos). My wife and I like the look of both (especially Sundance from behind), but are unsure what would look best (furniture is mostly Stickley Mission Oak). Also interested in opinions on a medium brown leather with red/rust undertones. Thanks! This forum is treasure trove of information.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hancock Family Room 2.jpg 
Views:	696 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	3363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hancock Family Room 3.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	3362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hancock Family Room 1.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	3361

Default Re: Sundace Loveseat Sectional or September Sectional

Go with the Sundance!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

benhancockjr Guest

Thanks Duane! I think my wife and I are sold on the Sundance. Can you confirm that it will fit through a 36" door?

Also, we received the leather samples yesterday. Thanks for coordinating that. I feel like I've read every thread on leather, but I'm still a little confused. Some of the swatches look nothing like what's on the H&M website (that shouldn't be surprising I guess). In any event, I have a few questions regarding leather...

1) Can you clarify what the surface grain numbers mean? My wife and I were looking at Aspen Saddle (surface grain rating of 3), and the swatch has a lot of pebbling. The Kipling Cognac was very smooth, hardly any pebbling, but has a surface grain rating of 4.

2) What is the best way to get a feel for color? For example, the Aspen Saddle looks very orange in some of the pictures (see below), but the swatch appears to be a a much darker brown. The Kipling Cognac (we like the swatch) seems very red in the picture below, but seems like a nice warm brown from the swatch.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...pen-Saddle-GR2
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=kipling

3) We didn't get a sample, but what is your opinion of Ryan Chestnut vs. Kipling Cognac. We have a swatch of the Kipling, but not the Ryan. Is there a way to understand how the leather will upholster to the frame. Some leather seems to have a nice tight fit, others seem to be looser as you describe in the link below.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=kipling

4) Lastly, how do I get a good feel for how glossy the leather will appear? I definitely prefer a more matted look. It can be very hard to tell from pictures, how much of the gloss is from the camera flash.

For some reason, I had it in my head that selecting leather would be easier than fabric. That is not the case.

Yes, everything in the H&M lineup will go through a 36" Door Opening. No problem there.

Always go with the swatches - the photos are there just to get you in the ballpark.

Surface Grain: Here's H&M's explanation: http://www.hancockandmoore.com/ecatalog/index.html#/12/

4: Means 100% Natural
    3: Lightly sanded but still mostly natural
    2: Corrected and Embossed
    1: The Split (lower half) and embossed.

Aspen is a FINISHED leather with matte clearcoat, whereas Kipling is an ANILINE with a waxy topcoat. Really two different leathers but both very nice. Sometimes they are out of stock of swatches. I'd say the Ryan is more 'natural' and a tad bit less red in color than the Kipling Cognac. Can't go wrong with either, however.

Generally speaking (VERY generally) the matte leathers are the expensive ones. Because there is really no clear coat or wax applied (or very little). Quintessence and Capri (GR4) are good examples of this. Native, a new GR 2 leather is likewise. For finished leathers, Antelope and Aspen are relatively low sheen. Again, go to your samples for sheen levels - photos won't be that accurate!

There's a lot of really good hides to choose from, and only a few that are poor choices. Very few. For example Challenger (GR 1 ) is just awful in my book. The Glazed (GR 2) ones are too glossy old-fashioned, too. And Lambskin and Deerskin (GR5) along with the suedes are not practical for daily use.
    Duane Collie

benhancockjr Guest

Thanks Duane!

Okay, so the Kipling just has a smoother surface, but not artificially so? Is there a way to see a swatch of the Ryan Chestnut? Ryan seems like a strong possibility if it's similar to Kipling but with a little less red and a little less gloss.

Of the samples we received, my wife and I seem to gravitate (at least color wise) to the Kipling Cognac and Equestrian Chestnut. The textures appear to be completely different. Any opinions/information on these leathers? How much of an issue is the squeaking? Is it something noticeable every time someone shifts positions, or is something that would be more of an issue on a recliner? In terms of the look of the leathers, is one more/less formal than the other? Would one go better with our Stickly Mission Oak furniture? I would love to see a picture of a piece in Equestrian Chestnut, but can't seem to find one on the forum. The Equestrian (at least based on the sample) seems to be thicker and has service rating of 2, so I'm assuming it's slightly more durable than the Kipling or Ryan.

Thanks so much for all the information! Hopefully, we can get this nailed down.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I'll put a request in for a Ryan Chestnut sample

Kipling and Equestrian are quite different. Kipling will be smooth and waxy, Equestrian is more textured (slightly pebbled) and hardy-feeling. I'd say the Equestrian is more rough n' tumble looking and the Kipling is Casual Chic. I don't mind 'noisy' leathers that squeak in stationary pieces, but they get to be a little much in recliners. You can always tone down an annoying squeak with a little talc powder, too....makes the leather slide.

Can't say what goes better with your Stickley pieces as I haven't seen them. All photos I have are here on the forum, however. As as you probably read, the key to durability is maintenance. You have to clean and condition the leather every 6 months if you want it to last, and keep direct sunlight off the pieces. Do that and you have 90% of all leather failure issues licked.
    Duane Collie

pvrick Guest

Duane,

What about the Challenger leather do you not like? Would it be a good leather on a tilt back?

Thanks

Rick

Challenger is a leather I would only use in a hotel or office lobby, its the stiffest, hardest, least appealing leather in the entire H&M lineup.
    Duane Collie