Thread: Help w/ value for CL listing: mid-1970's 3-Pc Sumter Cabinet Co "Market Tavern" Set

GhostUSA Guest

Default Help w/ value for CL listing: mid-1970's 3-Pc Sumter Cabinet Co "Market Tavern" Set

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCC-Desk-Front-W.jpg 
Views:	2611 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	3388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCC-Credenza-Front-W.jpg 
Views:	1491 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	3389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCC-Dresser-Front-W.jpg 
Views:	4257 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	3390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCC-Dresser-Composite-W.jpg 
Views:	1316 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	3391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCC-Credenza-Composite-W.jpg 
Views:	944 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	3392I have a 3-piece solid wood furniture set made by Sumter Cabinet Company that I want to sell (via Craigslist or furniture-oriented website/forum). This set was purchased by my mom in the early/mid-1970's by my mom at a local high-end furniture store (Breuner's) in Stockton, CA. The set includes a desk, double dresser, and what I call a credenza, and all three pieces match. The style name/# is "Market Tavern"/2244, and this information is on a paper tag stapled to the back of the dresser and also written in permanent ink on the dresser back. Overall condition is excellent/mint structurally with only minor cosmetic surface issues (some loss of finish in a few spots, some scratches). This furniture saw little use other than about 5 years when I used it in junior high/high school. Since 1980, it's basically had stuff stored in it (inside a house at all times). All 3 pieces have a never-mar top surface (hard acrylic). All pieces have all the original hardware (drawer pulls, door handles).

Dimensions/Info:
    Desk: 44" Wide X 19" Deep X 29.5" Height. Has 4 drawers
    Credenza: 30" Wide X 19" Deep X 29.5" Height. Has one long upper drawer & storage space underneath (with an approximately 12" wide shelf in storage area)
    Double Dresser: 44"Wide X 19" Deep X 29.5" Height; has six drawers total.

I can email additional pictures showing back, sides, etc. if helpful. I'd also appreciate any suggestions re: any specific websites/forums to list these items aside from Craigslist. Thanks for any advice/guidance on pricing anyone can provide.

Default Re: Help w/ value for CL listing: mid-1970's 3-Pc Sumter Cabinet Co "Market Tavern" S

Its basic inexpensive production furniture. Sell individually for about $ 100 a piece.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

GhostUSA Guest

Default Re: Help w/ value for CL listing: mid-1970's 3-Pc Sumter Cabinet Co "Market Tavern" S

Thanks very much. That's kind of the ballpark I was thinking and hoping to clear $250 or so for the set when all said and done. Do you think it has more value/appeal when sold as a set or should I just sell/list the pieces individually? I'm not really sure how people buy furniture these days and/or how much they aim to have a matching set. Thanks for your advice and for any additional guidance you can provide!

GhostUSA Guest

Sorry--also meant to ask if you have any idea what type(s) of wood this might be or that Sumter might have used in such furniture. Thanks again!

Its a hardwood, but there is no discernible grain so who knows what it might be. Nothing exotic - probably something native to the West. You can try as a set, but you will get more individually. Before you list it, clean it up some. You can go to most any hardware store and for $ 20 buy the following:

# 0000 Steel Wool
    A felt tip furniture market the same color (or slightly darker, but not lighter)
    A pint of mineral spirits
    A can of spray lacquer in satin finish, or flat (not gloss)

1) Wipe it down with mineral spirits and steel wool each piece afterwards. Stay with the grain. Don's spend too much time wooling.
    2) Touch up the bare spots with market. We're not looking for perfection. Feather the market end with the steel wool.
    3) Spray a light coat of lacquer over each piece, and lightly wool the top surface when done to remove the nits.

Now you just doubled the asking price for two hours of work.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

GhostUSA Guest

The cleaning/"restoration" bit sounds easy enough to manage and well within my capabilities. Thanks so much for your help and advice as it has given me much more comfort re: setting the "right price" for this furniture and ensuring its condition at the time of sale is the best it can be!