Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Fresh Eyes!!!

Fick5 Guest

Default Need Some Fresh Eyes!!!

Duane,
    First, I would like to start out by thanking you for this forum! It has been so informative and your honesty and integrity are so refreshing in a world filled with sales people that will bend the truth just to make a sale! (ugh) I have had a terrible experience trying to purchase good quality leather furniture and I am now armed with information that will make me a more informed shopper.

I need help! My husband would like a sectional with recliners, I am leaning more toward a long, angled sofa for the only wall, and a recliner on the left side of the FP and a swivel chair for the right side of FP. His only requirement of course is a recliner of some kind, whether on the end of sectional or stand alone. My requirements is to get as much seating as possible in this space w/o looking crowded. I want my leather to have a very rustic look, barbed wire marks and bug bites in it wouldn't bother me at all. I don't want something that has alot of shine. I know I can discuss all the "details" on another of your forums. So for now, could you please give me any suggestions about the layout! Thanks so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3256.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	3411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3248.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	3410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3264.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	3409  

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Need Some Fresh Eyes!!!

Could you clarify what you mean by "angled sofa"? I'm not a big fan of sectionals, and although your ceilings seem to very high, the room doesn't appear to be very large, so I'm thinking a sectional might overwhelm it? My only concern would be that the room would look a bit crowded (since recliners tend to be bulky). But if you would put the recliner next to the sofa (where the other chair is now), I think that would work. If so, I would not then put a bulky chair next to the fireplace. I like the small chair you now have on the left of the fireplace. I think I would move it to where the white chair is now and have no chair on the other side of the fireplace--but perhaps, instead, a decorative piece, such as a rustic stool or a nice large set of fireplace tools. My $.02.
    Last edited by organic_smallhome; 01-31-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Fick5 Guest

Yes the ceiling is very high. H & M has a 4 seater sofa (Evening Angular Conversational Sectional). BY has one where you combine a LAF loveseat & a RAF loveseat together. The ends of these kinda curves a little. My thinking was that it would give me one more seat on the sofa and also kinda fill in the space at each end (if that makes any sense). I do believe a sectional would be to overwhelming in my small space, I only have 11' 2" from wall to FP. As you can see it is open on each side of FP and there is a wall of windows and doors at the west end. This is driving me nuts!! I need to make a decision so that I can move on and hopefully get in on the Feb. special H & M is running. Thanks organic_smallhome for your response.

aluebcke Guest

Can you post a layout? That might make it easier (at least for others...I'm not good at laying out furniture)

But Duane and others on the forum were a great help to me, especially with my room dimensions and layout

organic_smallhome Guest

That's a lovely sofa (I've posted pic here so folks can see it) and I would much prefer that to a sectional. I think it would soften the layout.

Name:	1666LAFA-1666RAFA.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	3412  

organic_smallhome Guest

Also, with the new angled sofa, would you still have room to put the recliner where the white chair is now? And is there an electrical outlet of some kind near that space for a standing lamp?

Fick5 Guest

aluebcke thanks for recommending a layout, and organic_smallhouse I couldn't put a recliner where the one is now if I choose the angled sofa, could if it was just a reg. straight sofa, also I could put the recliner on the right side of FP if I could get one with a swivel base...when all the kids come home we all love to gather and watch football! I would also be able to put a standing lamp there, but the problem is my Hubby wants the recliner and he has to have a table next to him, for all his remotes and stuff!! Thanks for your suggestions, they are very good. I will try to put the layout I drew up on the post

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	3413  

organic_smallhome Guest

Then I think I'd either keep the arrangement you now have (with a straight leather sofa and the recliner next to it), or go with the angled sofa and put the recliner on the side of the fireplace near the door. And then I would put a smaller swivel chair in place of the big white chair you have next to the fireplace now. Would that work?

Challenging! We have a great room that looks big and roomy, but is not. You're have a pinch point in the area between the wall and fireplace that will negate the curved sofa (you would hate it once you got in in the house). That's definitely out - or at the very least you would want to tape a kraft paper template on it to the floor prior to ordering it. You have another pinch point to the right of the fireplace as that's an egress area. One thing that is easy to do is put too much bulk in a room this size in an effort to get seating capacity and you crowd the room when you do.

Your decor is PERFECT for the burnished hides from H&M. My initial thoughts are to come in with pieces such as these:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1905 (Rugby Sofa)

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1993 (Rugby Recliner)

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2194 (Cross Moore Swivel) < by the fireplace, to the right of it.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2101 (Bench) < Makes a great fireplace pull-up bench when done in the right leather/wood combo

Now, if you want more style - then I think this would look pretty cool in your room in the burnished hides:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1906 (Phillips sofa)
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1808 (Saunder Lounger)
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1608 (Benson Glider) < to the right of the fireplace

I believe you will have to stay with a non-curved sofa on the flat wall - and I'd not try to do a sectional in your space with an end recliner as I think its too heavy and too much blockage to the french doors.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fick5 Guest

Thank you Duane for your recommendations, I have now refocused my selection to a sofa, recliner and swivel chair and maybe a stool. While I love the Rugby you suggested, I was wanting something with a rounded arm, just think with the position of the TV, I will be lounging toward the arm of the sofa. My next question is....and please bear with me, I LOVE the look of the Blackhawk lounger, but can't find a sofa in the H&M line with the details like the stitching. I know anything is possible with custom orders, just not sure how much more something like that would add to the cost. After pouring over the H&M catalog (over and over and over)! trying to find a sofa with a similar look as the Blackhawk, I'm still not sure which one comes the closest. Maybe the Member, September or City? It is so hard to compare because I have to go from one page to another. Do you have a suggestion as to what sofa best resembles the Blackhawk, that I could consider having the stitching added to? Thanks again for all your help.