Thread: Switching Gears!

Fick5 Guest

Default Switching Gears!

Duane, thanks so much for the recommendations after viewing my pics of the great room. I have now refocused my search for a sofa, recliner, swivel chair & possibly ottoman. While I love the Rugby you recommended, I was really wanting a sofa with round arms, thinking it would be more comfortable, since I tend to lean on or lay my head on the arm. I love the rustic look of the Blackhawk recliner, but unfortunately doesn't have any matching pieces. After looking at pics of the H&M sofas I thinking maybe the Settlement, Lynn or City sofas look kinda close (just the arms) My question is I really love the look of the stitching down the back cushion, arm and sides of the Blackhawk, I know anything is possible with H&M, and they could do the stitching, just don't know if any of the sofas would be close enough in looks to go though the extra $ it would cost. My question is: Is there a sofa in your opinion that will look good with and match the Blackhawk? Also how much extra would it be to add the stitching if there is one that is close in looks. As always thanks for all the hard work you put into this forum. P.S. I also know better that to discuss politics but have slipped and experienced the same reaction as you with the ladies. The rule in this house when we have family get-togethers NO POLITICS, that way we all get along and have a good time!! God Bless all those who have fought for our freedom, so we can all vote for who we want!!

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Switching Gears!

It's funny, that's such an American thing. When I lived in Europe, people had animated discussions over politics, religion, etc. all the time, including at the dinner table--gesticulating wildly, arguing, etc. But at the end of the night, nobody went home angry. Everyone appreciated conversations that were substantive, and considered straightforward debate over the issues as a very good time.

hglaber Guest

Try throwing soccer into that mix and see what happens.

The problem is in the US every personal choice has become this mixture of religion and loyalty that must be defended. Someone making a different choice is a personal affront. I have even seen people take car choice as some sort of personal attack. And I don't mean the "I bought a Ford 'cause Chevies ['like yours' implied] suck!!!" from 20 year old"car enthusiasts" either. I mean more like middle-aged people driving transportation appliances saying "I looked at the Camcordima, and it was a nice car, but I bought the Taurpala 300 because it had [seats/gas mileage/insurance rates/sales incentives/spousal acceptance] that fit my needs better." The Camcordima driver took the comment only slightly better than had the Taurpala owner said "I find your wife abrasive and your children homely and doltish." I have no idea why.

Matthew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hglaber View Post
    I have no idea why.
    My guess has always been that people want/need confirmation that their purchase right the "right" one (using whichever criteria is important to them - the hip factor, bang for your buck, highest quality, etc) and when someone purchases something different they view it as an affront on the rightness of their purchase.

I'm a big fan of tech gadgets, so I read tech blogs regularly. I always find it funny that whenever a new product comes out from manufacturer X, the fanboys for competing manufacturer Y come out and immediately trash the product for no other reason save for the fact it isn't made by Y.

Matthew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fick5 View Post
    My question is: Is there a sofa in your opinion that will look good with and match the Blackhawk? Also how much extra would it be to add the stitching if there is one that is close in looks.
    How about the Parisian?

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1345

Charter has some similarities as well (http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1700)

Quote Originally Posted by Fick5 View Post
    While I love the Rugby you recommended, I was really wanting a sofa with round arms, thinking it would be more comfortable, since I tend to lean on or lay my head on the arm. I love the rustic look of the Blackhawk recliner, but unfortunately doesn't have any matching pieces. After looking at pics of the H&M sofas I thinking maybe the Settlement, Lynn or City sofas look kinda close (just the arms) My question is I really love the look of the stitching down the back cushion, arm and sides of the Blackhawk, I know anything is possible with H&M, and they could do the stitching, just don't know if any of the sofas would be close enough in looks to go though the extra $ it would cost. My question is: Is there a sofa in your opinion that will look good with and match the Blackhawk? Also how much extra would it be to add the stitching if there is one that is close in looks.
    You've got to watch the sizes on pieces, for example the Settlement is a massive, huge sofa, whereas the City is smaller and compact. If you are looking to key a sofa off the Blackhawk, I'd probably look at the Charter, Evening, September or Kodiak as good, mid-size sofas that are not too large, or too small. Member is another good series as well. That looks to be the "I" stitch on the Blackhawk, and that can be done on any H&M piece for an upcharge.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.