Thread: Johnson Furniture Designer

Mattson Guest

Smile Johnson Furniture Designer

Hi there, I am having the most difficult time finding out who the designer of this Johnson furniture piece is. I have two of them. How does one identify designer if the designer doesn't leave his/her mark (is it even possible) ? I'm stumped can anyone help?

Many kind thanks!!!
    MicheleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7906.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	3453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7912.JPG 
Views:	425 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	3454

Default Re: Johnson Furniture HELP...

The only way you will ever find the designer is to call the maker and talk to someone in the executive offices. Even then, they may not want to release their source. If Johnston Furniture is out of business, then you might have better luck finding out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried than tracking down the designer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Johnson Furniture of Grand Rapids, MI was a high end manufacturer in business between 1908 - 1983. Quite a few of their original designs were in the Art Deco style. The company's two best known designers were Paul Frankl and Renzo Rutili.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

Impressive, Jeff!!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

wintersummer Guest

Jeff - any thoughts about where you could find original pieces of Johnson Furniture? (other than the original poster!)

Mattson - where did your furniture come from? Has it been with you for some time or is it a new acquisition? I really like it!

Quote Originally Posted by wintersummer View Post
    Jeff - any thoughts about where you could find original pieces of Johnson Furniture? (other than the original poster!)

Mattson - where did your furniture come from? Has it been with you for some time or is it a new acquisition? I really like it!
    I would call around to antique dealerships and auction houses that specialize in furniture. Even though the furniture is not that old, the combination of quality and styling makes it salable by the same types of dealers. One interesting point, however, for Art Deco and other "Modern" styles from the first half of the 20th century is that a piece that has been refinished or repaired does not decrease in value as much as it would for an antique.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

Mattson Guest

Thanks everyone, for the information. I work for an Estate Liquidation company and will be listing this on e-bay soon. But first will try searching Paul Frankl and Renzo Rutili (thank you Pro Member simplyjeff) will see if I can find the exact one (wondering!!! do designers design multiple pieces of the same...hummm)

To: Fearless Leader drcollie:"you might have better luck finding out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried than tracking down the designer.", you might be right

Michele

wintersummer Guest

Michelle - can you let me know when it goes up for sale?

Mattson Guest

Hello Senior Member wintersummer, I sure will, it will more than likely be listed next week. Our store name on e-bay is Mattson Co SD's Estate Liquidator. Do you happen to know the designer? Just thought I'd ask!

Thanks,
    Michele

Mattson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wintersummer View Post
    Michelle - can you let me know when it goes up for sale?
    Hello wintersummer, Just letting you know that it is now up in e-bay. Here's the item # 120864961406. Ok have a great day!, Michele