Thread: Heard of Walter Whiteley - Furniture Maker?

emil1027 Guest

Default Heard of Walter Whiteley - Furniture Maker?

I am wondering if anyone has heard a furniture maker from York, PA named Walter Whitely? I am interested in a Councill china cabinet but after reading reviews of Councill furniture's quality on this forum, I was a little apprehensive about buying it, considering the cost. So I was looking around for custom furniture makers in Wisconsin, where I live. I didn't find any, but did come across Walter Whiteley's website. His work looks impressive to me but wondering if anyone had any experience with his furniture or heard anything about it. Here is the link to his website. www.walterwhiteley.com

Would appreciate any insight anyone has.

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Heard of Walter Whiteley - Furniture Maker?

I don't recall anyone ever questioning Councill quality here. Are you sure you're not thinking of another manufacturer? I remember some discussions mentioning the high price, but don't recall anything questioning quality. Not to say I couldn't have missed one, but it doesn't seem like a trend.

I don't know if they do china cabinets, but a place called The Custom Shoppe builds furniture to order in Wisconsin (unless the recession got 'em). A small, family-owned furniture store near me that's been here forever uses them for custom book cases that look pretty good.

Default Re: Heard of Walter Whiteley - Furniture Maker?

I don't know that cabinetmaker but looking at his web site he's definitely got talent. That turret tea table is a bear to make and I expect he may be pricey looking at the level of his work, but he's got a good eye from what I can see (photos would not enlarge).

Nothing wrong with Councill ! I just brought three more pieces in the store in the past month. Good stuff, their wood selections and finish are second to none. Some of their structural build I would like to see better on, but that's across the industry. I was looking at a $ 65,000 Baker Secretary last week at Baker's of Georgetown and they had plywood bottoms on the drawers, for example. HA!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.