Thread: Faux leather sofa.... shiny and slippery as the Fonz's jacket. what to do?

jeffpas Guest

Default Faux leather sofa.... shiny and slippery as the Fonz's jacket. what to do?

I ordered a sofa online and had it delivered, yes I know but it had to be the right size for the room, was hard to find.
    In any case it is a 'faux leather', looked great in the ad but unfortunately arrived plastic-shiny and slippery enough to slide off of it.

The thinking is after checking around online that maybe this is a buffing or finish that is added to give an otherwise decent looking couch that fresh-from-the-70s tacky look .
    All I'm looking to find is if there is anything out there that can be done to distress this shiny faux leather or remove some of the slipperyness of it. Some websites recommend spraying wiping with alcohol to relieve the sheen but just wondered what people thought here. Or would that cause it to dry out and crack?
    If I had several grand, I'd buy real of course..... and I really hate to return it at this point and keep looking. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by jeffpas; 03-05-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Default Re: Faux leather sofa.... shiny and slippery as the Fonz's jacket. what to do?

Nothing you can do without taking a chance of damaging the topcoat. If you had nothing to lose, then sanding it with super fine sandpaper would rough up the topcoat - but that's awfully dicey to try that. Send it back and get something you like if you can.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Faux leather sofa.... shiny and slippery as the Fonz's jacket. what to do?

I learned early in my manufacturing career not to make reversible cushions out of faux leather. You will never be happy with this sofa and should send it back if you can. If you are unable to do that my best suggestion is to use industrial strength velcro strips on the sofa deck and one side of the cushions. You will not be able to reverse the cushions but that will be less annoying than the constant feeling of slipping.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas