Thread: Another high end American furniture manufacturer is gone - Craftique is closing.

Default Another high end American furniture manufacturer is gone - Craftique is closing.

High-end case goods source Craftique to close
    Will liquidate its remaining inventory

Heath E. Combs -- Furniture Today, March 6, 2012
    MEBANE, N.C. — Domestic high-end case goods supplier Craftique Furniture says it plans to cease manufacturing and retail operations and liquidate its remaining inventory.

Craftique, founded in 1946, has been known for hand-made custom mahogany furniture. It will wind down operations in May with the fulfillment of open orders, officials said in a press release.

The company said a tough economic environment and shrinking consumer demand for heirloom quality furnishings is contributing to its closing.

"We hope everyone clearly knows this decision has been reached with great deliberation and with concern given to all Craftique employees, customers suppliers and our local community," said co-owner Craig Shoemaker.

While a potential buyer could purchase the Craftique in the next several months, liquidation will take place as planned, officials said. They also said the company plans to sell its 100,000-square-foot factory here.

Craftique's existing inventory will be sold at a liquidation sale at its factory store beginning at 10 a.m. this Thursday, March 8. The store is at 2679 Ramada Road, Burlington, N.C.

"For years now, the entire Craftique team has worked diligently to withstand the challenges of today's global economy. For this I am extremely grateful and appreciative," said John Erwin, co-owner.

Craftique was founded in 1946 by L.P. Best, who sold the company to Pulaski Furniture in 1988.

In 1997 it was purchased by a management group that included veterans of Pennsylvania House, Singer and Traditions France, including Shoemaker and Erwin. Among its collections were licensed lines with Biltmore House and the Thomas Day Restoration Foundation.

spbell Guest

Default Re: Another high end American furniture manufacturer is gone - Craftique is closing.

I am sorry to hear that. Craftique made some lovely heirloom pieces in their hayday (pre 1980's). Sad to think they probably won't be the last of the fine furniture companies to close their doors in the near future.

Default Re: Another high end American furniture manufacturer is gone - Craftique is closing.

Lifestyles have changed, and so have buying habits. High end wood case goods is territory that few can prosper in. Wasn't always that way, my store used to be dedicated to nothing but that kind of product 20 years ago, and we sold truckloads of it, and it was 90 % of sales. Not its closer to 5% - 8% of my annual sales. Manufacturers either have to change with the times or they perish - same with stores! The one sure given in the furniture industry that I have learned is that to stay stagnant in what you do is a sure path to failure. Generations buy differently. The people that used to buy Craftique are now in retirement, and most retirees don't buy furniture. The generation now buying doesn't want that look. Craftique failed to change with the times.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.