Thread: Mid-level furniture places in MD?

Buehl Guest

Default Mid-level furniture places in MD?

I posted this question on the Furniture Forum on GardenWeb and it was suggested I ask it here since Duane is in the MD/VA/DC area. So, here goes...

We're looking for mid-level furniture for our family room and was wondering if we could get recommendations from folks here of places to check in the Maryland area. We're in Western Howard County, but are willing to travel around the area, even into VA if we have to! We've looked at The Room Store and Haverty's so far. (How do they rate, btw? I have an idea, but I'd like your opinion first.)

We prefer upholstered, but will also consider leather. We're looking for a long sofa (~100"), chair, recliner for a tall person (for DH who's 6'5"), and 2 or 3 end tables. Color has not been decided yet and will pick furniture b/f we get new carpet.

To give you an idea of the style of furniture we're looking for (to help w/store recommendations), I thought it might be best to show you what our FR looks like right now...but we're slowly remodeling the first floor. We like fairly traditional furniture...definitely not "modern" or "minimalist". I.e, detailing is welcomed. But, no frilly-ness!

Here's a pic of our FR in May 2006. It's since been somewhat de-cluttered, but the color of the fireplace is the same. There's now a 4' opening b/w the FR & Kitchen and it's completely open b/w the Kitchen & DR (on the other side of the kitchen). My kitchen is traditional with a leaning toward Transitional. The DR furniture will most likely be this http://www.canaldover.com/tuscany/tu_dining.htm or something similar (when we get it...but that's a few years from now!)

FR May 2006

Kitchen looking into FR (To give you an idea of styles; cherry wood, mandarin stain, coffee glaze)

Note that we may change the doors on the Kitchen cabinets to this down the road...

Thanks!

The best place to go for what you are looking at is Green Front Furniture in Manassas, VA, near the Manassas Airport off Hwy 234. Expect to be mostly self-service and buy ONLY off the floor (do not order pieces). They always have incredible markdowns on floor models by buying High Point Showrooms, excess manufacturer inventory, closeouts and the like. The savings disappear considerably if you order something not in stock. About an hour's ride from you at most. Good Luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Buehl Guest

Thanks Duane! I do have a question though, in the "going out of business" thread you cautioned against buying b/c it's not always what it seems. Is Green Front different with their merchandise? I know they're not "going out of business"....can we trust what we see on the floor?

Oh, is Haverty's a low-end? I thought they might be a mid-range store, but maybe not. I was pretty sure The Room Store was low-end.

Now, I just need to talk my DH into a road trip to Manassas!

Thanks again!

Green Front should be fine, they're not going under. Don't expect a high level of service assistance, however. Haverty's is just so-so. You can get more bang for your buck at Green Front.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.