Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deepest, highest sofa and chair to fit 30.5" doorway?

AilFin Guest

Default Re: Deepest, highest sofa and chair to fit 30.5" doorway?

Thank you, Duane. I bet the build up of hair oils wouldn't happen if the leather were cleaned twice a year. Am I right?

Everyone has different oil and Ph levels in their body. Some people put out more than others! I'm trying to learn more and more about human chemical interactions with leather and am trying out some new leather care products as well. To be sure, the reason most leather deteriorates is due to this interaction and failure to remove the oils and dirt from the leather after use...what I'm focusing on now is trying to determine the frequency of cleaning/conditioning and use of barrier products without making it a maintenance chore. Most stores will not even advise their customers to clean hides at all. Makers of the furniture will lightly address the issue, and makers of the cleaning products will tell you to use their stuff daily! I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between, but without a technical and scientific study it's going to be opinion-based only.

I see a lot of damaged leather from customers replacing cracked hides, and the common theme is they all say they never cleaned or conditioned their leather, nor did their selling dealer advise them to. So we know you have to do something...the question is frequency and what product, to best balance longevity with the chore of maintenance.

When in doubt, wipe down the leather with a damp - not wet- rag. You can't do that too often.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AilFin Guest

I've learned a lot from you, Duane, and I'd say the number one thing is to keep leather clean. Thank you for sharing your expertise; I really appreciate that.