Thread: Repair of Gas Strut on H&M Tilt Back

MaryL Guest

Default Repair of Gas Strut on H&M Tilt Back

I am new to threading and this site. I saw a thread from 2008 - DRCOLLIE - when I was googling how to replace a nitrogen gas cylinder on a Hancock & Moore leather recliner. I have inherited this chair. It is from 1997, dark navy blue with brass rivits. So pretty! and in excellent condition....except the recliner part isn't working. I read DRCOLLIE's advice on replacing the gas cylinder and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get step by step instructions. I would like to fix it myself. Hancock & Moore can sell me a new cylinder for $50 and then I can replace it myself. I hope.

Default Re: So who is this DRCOLLIE guy?

The strut itself is held on with two simple clips, top and bottom. It goes in and out of the clips in seconds. The work is gaining access to it, and you have to remove the outback of the chair to get to the work area. I've seen the experts at H&M replace them without doing the removal, but they are working blind and by feel alone - and know exactly how they go in. For everyone else, the outback has to come off. This means removal of the staples, welt trim and upholstery. Unless you know how to re-install all of that then its best to let an upholstery shop do it.

One thing - when you get your new strut, DO NOT play with it. It's pressurized and has a lock on it in the down position. Everyone takes the lock off to see if it works, and then the strut expands and is damaged - you have to buy a new one. The lock is designed to be removed only when its installed in the chair. There's even a warning label on the strut to that effect, still - folks can't resist testing it out prior to installation. Don't do it!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MaryL Guest

Default Re: So who is this DRCOLLIE guy?

Thank you for the reply. I can see how the access is going to be difficult. Debating on whether to try myself or get an expert. I won't play around with the new strut! Should I order the strut directly from H&M? They said it would be about $50.00.

Default Re: Repair of Gas Strut on H&M Tilt Back

Yes, you can order direct from them if they will allow it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.