Thread: Custom work from H&M?

barbja Guest

Default Custom work from H&M?

I've been told that H&M is a 'semi-custom' manufacturer, but I'm not entirely sure what that means. I know that you can change up the leathers, nail heads (or no nail heads), welting, etc. Can you do something extreme like, say add a few inches of width or depth to a frame?

The one specific style that I like the best just isn't long enough (inside width) to meet my needs. I've been searching for an alternate, but if it's at all possible to make what I like 'bigger', I'd like to look into that.

Ideally, what I'd want is a tower sofa that's 6-9" longer and 2" deeper. Why, you ask? I frequently lay on the sofa and the longer the better to prevent a 'fight' with my son who wants to sit at the other end. My current sofa has an inside width of 72"; I shouldn't go smaller than that.

From the crop that matches my measurements, my current 2nd favorite is the rugby club, but I just don't think it has the style of the tower.

Quote Originally Posted by barbja View Post
    I've been told that H&M is a 'semi-custom' manufacturer, but I'm not entirely sure what that means. I know that you can change up the leathers, nail heads (or no nail heads), welting, etc. Can you do something extreme like, say add a few inches of width or depth to a frame?

The one specific style that I like the best just isn't long enough (inside width) to meet my needs. I've been searching for an alternate, but if it's at all possible to make what I like 'bigger', I'd like to look into that.

Ideally, what I'd want is a tower sofa that's 6-9" longer and 2" deeper. Why, you ask? I frequently lay on the sofa and the longer the better to prevent a 'fight' with my son who wants to sit at the other end. My current sofa has an inside width of 72"; I shouldn't go smaller than that.

From the crop that matches my measurements, my current 2nd favorite is the rugby club, but I just don't think it has the style of the tower.

Heh. It means that H&M will custom build you most anything if your checkbook can take the hit. As a general rule of thumb if you are talking frame mods in depth or length, take the price of the sofa as whole and then half again as much for the custom work. So, if the sofa is $ 2,000 and you want it 2" deeper, its now going to be around $ 3,000.

There are so many large and deep sofas in the H&M line that you should be able to find one without having to customize a smaller one. Many of the new larger sofas just came on board in 2008.

Some of the styles:

Settlement # 4192
    Trade # 5049
    Darby # 4129
    Sanctuary # 4685
    Sundance # 4717
    Carmel # 4872
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

barbja Guest

Oh my that's a lot! Is that multiplier on the leather too? If you're modding a frame w/ a cl1 leather that started at 2K it becomes 3K, but the same frame in cl4 is 4K, the modded class 4 would be 6K? Gosh.

I looked at those new frames and, for the most part, they're ginormous! The carmel is in the right size range for what I need, but I just don't like how it looks. I tried out a 4717 Sundance sofa at a dealer in San Antonio last weekend and it even though it had a really thick and squeakey hide on it, it was really comfortable and most excellent! However its 110" long with a bowed back and would probably swallow my room whole and have room left over for snacks. My local dealer has the 4716 Sundance in the showroom. It was nice, but the depth of the center cushion was just a little under 22"; maybe I could get over that.

I really liked that 4717 and thought it was a great TV-watching sofa. If it could at all work in my room, I'm not adverse to it. Both of the settlements are 38.5" high and 46" deep. Will those go through a standard front door opening? That sounds pretty big to me.

Given my current set of options, can I find out how much the following are in a class 4 leather:

4717 sundance
    4716 sundance
    5261 rugby club
    5010 highlands

I also see that the 5010 highlands is on the current T&C list in a "buckingham merlot burnished". Does that mean "purple"? Considering if that leather isn't totally offensive, how much is that?

Will those go through a standard front door opening? That sounds pretty big to me.

Given my current set of options, can I find out how much the following are in a class 4 leather:

4717 sundance
    4716 sundance
    5261 rugby club
    5010 highlands

I also see that the 5010 highlands is on the current T&C list in a "buckingham merlot burnished". Does that mean "purple"? Considering if that leather isn't totally offensive, how much is that?

No such thing as a standard doorway! You have to measure and mind the egress into the house and room. Anything H&M makes will fit in a 36" doorway, and about 85% will fit though a 34" doorway. After that, its shaky on the larger pieces.

Grade IV leather? Yummy....

4717 sundance $ 5,943
    4716 sundance $ 5,124
    5261 rugby club $ 4,998
    5010 highlands $ 5,110

The 5010 in the T&C Promo is $ 3,590, and I've not seen that leather in person yet (samples not yet out). The sample on the printed catalog is of no help-too small, too dark.

Oh, BTW, if you need the inside depth shortened a bit, any H&M dealer can order the back cushions 'extra full' and that can cut about one inch off the overall inside depth. No charge to specify it as such.
    Duane Collie

crouch Guest

I tried out a 4717 Sundance sofa at a dealer in San Antonio last weekend and it even though it had a really thick and squeakey hide on it, it was really comfortable and most excellent!

My local dealer has the 4716 Sundance in the showroom. It was nice, but the depth of the center cushion was just a little under 22"; maybe I could get over that.
    barbja,

I'm happy to find someone who has sat in the 4717 Sundance. Can you give me any additional impressions as to suitability for tv viewing in a family room? I'm looking for a very comfortable and deep sofa for everyday use (24-25 inch interior seat depth - any deeper than that and I think kidney pillows become necessary). And do you recall the type of squeaky hide it had on it? I'll make sure to avoid that.

I'm also curious as to your comment that the 4716 Sundance had a 22" center depth cushion. What does that mean? The sofa is less deep in the center than at the ends? Does the 4717 have a similar narrowing?

Hancock & Moore's website indicates both have a 24" interior seat depth w/o mentioning any narrower portion.

Thanks.

barbja Guest

Can you give me any additional impressions as to suitability for tv viewing in a family room? I'm looking for a very comfortable and deep sofa for everyday use (24-25 inch interior seat depth - any deeper than that and I think kidney pillows become necessary).

I think that its an excellent sofa for TV viewing. However, I almost never sit 'normally' (if there is such a thing) on a sofa. I'm only 5'3"; I always have my feet up on an ottoman, curl up in the corner, or lay down, so large, deep sofas are most comfortable to me. My current sofa is 24" deep and I'm happy with it (well, except that its a 14 yr old Expressions and not a leather H&M, of course).

And do you recall the type of squeaky hide it had on it? I'll make sure to avoid that.

I don't recall what it was. I'm planning on going back to the store soon to try out the 4716 again and I'll check out what the leather is on the 4717 when I'm there.

I'm also curious as to your comment that the 4716 Sundance had a 22" center depth cushion. What does that mean? The sofa is less deep in the center than at the ends? Does the 4717 have a similar narrowing?

I believe that the center of the 4717 is narrower too, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check on that too. I'm sure about the 4716 though because I had the sales person measure it. I noticed the difference when I laid down on the sofa to see how much room was left on the end. Both sofas are bowed; the bowing looks like it may be less on the back than on the front which is what probably causes the narrowing. Originally I was concerned about the bowing because I will put the sofa against a wall, but they had both the 4716 and 4717 against walls and they didn't look stupid.

Hancock & Moore's website indicates both have a 24" interior seat depth w/o mentioning any narrower portion.

Yes, any measurement that they give is always the maximum. For instance, if there's a sofa with a curved top that goes from 32-37", the measurement that they'll give for the height will be 37".

I'll post a follow-up when I have more info on the 4717.

Cheers!

Odd I/O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crouch View Post
    barbja,

I'm happy to find someone who has sat in the 4717 Sundance. Can you give me any additional impressions as to suitability for tv viewing in a family room? I'm looking for a very comfortable and deep sofa for everyday use (24-25 inch interior seat depth - any deeper than that and I think kidney pillows become necessary). And do you recall the type of squeaky hide it had on it? I'll make sure to avoid that.

Thanks.
    If you want to get a better look at the curve/bow on the Sundance (4716) go to : http://hancockandmoore.com/

On the first page they have a slideshow of several of thier pieces with the Sundance being one of them (in Red).

That's one of the problems with the pictures on Hancocks and Moore's website. They sometimes fail to show off all the little architectural details in their pieces. Another example is the Kingwood model (shown here: http://hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=1374). You would have to look really close to even deduce that the front is curved. Some shots that show off this detail better are located here: http://myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=235. First picture in the second post.

barbja Guest

The larger 4717 was in San Marcos (the thick squeaky one) and the smaller 4716 was in a lovely Pecos Mink (Class III). We carefully measured inside depth of both sofas and the 4717 was consistently 23" and the 4716 was 22". I supposed that the discrepancy is cushion fluffiness. I spent some time on the 4716 and it was extra comfy.

The larger 4717 was in San Marcos (the thick squeaky one) and the smaller 4716 was in a lovely Pecos Mink (Class III). We carefully measured inside depth of both sofas and the 4717 was consistently 23" and the 4716 was 22". I supposed that the discrepancy is cushion fluffiness. I spent some time on the 4716 and it was extra comfy.
    If needed, H&M can increase or decrease the overall depth of the sofas by adding or removing batting into the back cushions during the making of the piece. They do this a service to their customers and its at no additional charge.

BTW, squeaky leather is easily solved by simply taking a little baby power talc and rubbing it where the cushion meets the side of the arm, etc, on the friction points. Jimmy Moore insists on tighter tolerances (no gaps) in the production of the furniture so once in a while the leather squeaks against itself. I keep a container of powder here at the store just for that reason.
    Duane Collie