Thread: Looking for quality

Hybrid View

toli Guest

Default Looking for quality

After having my inlaws over for Christmas, I now have a broken recliner. I have purchased 2 recliners in the last 10 years and do not want to buy another one 5 years from know. After surfing the web in search of quality made furniture it appears that Hancock and Moore provide some of the best furniture you can buy. I have tried to find a local retailer here in St. Louis, MO but have not had any luck. I am not opposed to buying over the internet but am hesitant to purchase a recliner without first sitting in it. I was also wondering if anyone knows about how much one of these is going to cost. Just by looking at pictures, I was thinking about the Abbott, Eddington, or Kilby loungers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by toli View Post
    After having my inlaws over for Christmas, I now have a broken recliner. I have purchased 2 recliners in the last 10 years and do not want to buy another one 5 years from know. After surfing the web in search of quality made furniture it appears that Hancock and Moore provide some of the best furniture you can buy. I have tried to find a local retailer here in St. Louis, MO but have not had any luck. I am not opposed to buying over the internet but am hesitant to purchase a recliner without first sitting in it. I was also wondering if anyone knows about how much one of these is going to cost. Just by looking at pictures, I was thinking about the Abbott, Eddington, or Kilby loungers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You may be able to replace that mechanism in the recliner (assuming its the recliner mechanism that broke). If its a Leggett and Platt mechanism (used on most USA made recliners) its fairly straightforward to do so.

I know there is an H&M dealer in St. Louis, but can't recall the name. Give a call to H&M and they will tell you who carries their product. Price Range? You can pull up the Town and Country price list under the LEATHER forum and compare the numbers to the models on H&M's website. That's going to be your best pricing...most fall in the $ 1,200 to $ 2,000 price range that are in that grouping. If not in that promo, them plan on $ 1,600 to $ 2,400 as a range.

You can still break the mechanism in an H&M, and they all can wear out in time, but they are replaceable when outside the warranty period for about $ 125 or so. Recliners by their very nature cannot be as durable as a stationary chair. You have everything moving on a recliner and its all tied together with the mechanism as the 'anchor' of the piece. Tilt Back Chairs, coupled with an Ottoman, are stronger and probably even more comfortable but it does mean buying two pieces of furniture.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

toli Guest

Thanks for the info but is much worse than a broken mechanism. The frame is cracked and the screws stripped out. If I do order one, how long would it be before I receive it and what is the main difference between the quality of leather that is available?

Yikes! Sounds like that one is indeed seen better days. I'm not used to seeing piece break frames and strip screws.

Production time can be as little as 3 weeks if you want something quickly, provided the frame and cover are in-stock. For a single recliner, the fastest way to ship is via Truck Line, but would need to have a commercial business to ship it to that does not require a call ahead notification, and you would have to haul it home. Otherwise I use Home Delivery Service, but they will be 2 to 3 weeks transit time once the piece is completed.

As to leather differences, its like going to Baskin-Robbins. So many flavors, colors, textures, that there is one to suit every taste and not a poor leather in the batch. You'd have to give me a couple of specific hides to compare and contrast, because while Baskin Robbins may have a measly 31 flavors, Hancock and Moore has 413 leathers that can be selected!
    Duane Collie

toli Guest

I had no idea there were so many choices. I did call H&M and there is one retailer in the St.Louis area that I am going to visit on Friday. Are local retailers competitively priced with internet sources? I would prefer to buy locally but my wife is making sure I stay within a certain range so I will buy over the internet if there is a significant difference. Also I saw on another post that there is usually a sale in February. Is that going to be the case this year and if it is, what is the discount. I figure if I am going to buy a 20 year piece of furniture I should do my due diligence and make sure I get exactly what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by toli View Post
    I had no idea there were so many choices. I did call H&M and there is one retailer in the St.Louis area that I am going to visit on Friday. Are local retailers competitively priced with internet sources? I would prefer to buy locally but my wife is making sure I stay within a certain range so I will buy over the internet if there is a significant difference. Also I saw on another post that there is usually a sale in February. Is that going to be the case this year and if it is, what is the discount. I figure if I am going to buy a 20 year piece of furniture I should do my due diligence and make sure I get exactly what I want.
    Some are, some aren't! You can use the Town and Country price sheet I just posted here on the forum as a guide to see how your local dealer compares.

There is usually a 5% off sale in February to dealers than pay in terms. It applies to regular line goods only and not to the Town and Country items, which are already steeply discounted and never have additional discounts during a sale period.
    Duane Collie