Thread: Gap in reclining loveseat

Anrie Guest

Question Gap in reclining loveseat

Greetings. Looking for some advice...in January I purchased a double reclining loveseat with a center console. Within a few days I noticed that when I reclined there was a gap between the bottom cushion that I was sitting on and the back cushion that my back was resting on. I went to the furniture store, the salesman said that was normal. I went to different furniture stores and sat in dozens of recliners and reclining sofas/loveseats. Yes, the gap is normal, but those are gaps of 1 - 2 inches. On mine, I can lay my hand flat and spread my fingers in the gap. Plus, there is a support board across that gap that when I'm reclining my lower back sits on. It's very uncomfortable. And I've noticed that there is less support in the cushion just sitting in it...there is definitely a 'middle' of the cushion. I went back to the store (Badcock's) to complain and ask to return/exchange the loveseat. They said they would contact me and send someone out to look. Of course, 4 days later I've heard nothing. I even wrote the company on their website almost 2 weeks ago. Nothing.

Any suggestions? As a side, I don't have children or animals hopping on the loveseat. I weigh about 190. I only sit in the loveseat about 1 - 2 hours a day, more on the weekends for movies.
    Anrie

Default Re: Gap in reclining loveseat

That's fairly typical in most furniture (seat to back gap) unless the maker sews the two cushions together using an attach panel - something Leathercraft does. Your sofa will exhibit more of that as the cushions break in, you've had it about 4 months now, so it may be more prevalent than when new. Some piece do it more than others, can you take photos to show us?

Work through your purchasing dealer on this issue, the manufacturer won't respond to your emails - its a dealer responsibility to discuss with you. I'd not get your hopes up for an exhange / return after four months use. At most you may get some new cushions cores to try. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Anrie Guest

Red face Re: Gap in reclining loveseat

Thanks for the response. I seriously hope this isn't normal...having such a gap sort of defeats the purpose of having a 'comfy' recliner, doesn't it?

Anyways, I'm attaching photos to show the gap.
    Thanks again for the expertise!
    AnrieClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00064-20120424-2035.jpg 
Views:	1586 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	3627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00065-20120424-2035.jpg 
Views:	2332 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	3628

Yikes! That's pretty severe. I'd not want that - or accept that - either. Either the suspension grid is too weak or the foam in the seat too soft. In either case, that's unsatisfactory.
    Duane Collie

Anrie Guest

Victory is mine! The guy from the furniture store came today to check out my loveseat. He took two steps into my living room, looked at the couch, and said "that ain't right". Then he sat on both sides and said "that ain't right". Manufacture's defect. That's what he said. Either way...I'm getting a replacement reclining loveseat on Friday. Yay!

Glad that worked out for you.
    Duane Collie