Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabrics to avoid / go for when selecting a sofa?

Youngcouple Guest

Default Fabrics to avoid / go for when selecting a sofa?

Although nothing beats a leather couch, sometimes you just want a more "cozy" look.

Which fabrics are no-no with regards to durability and stain resistance?

We were at Bloomingdales and sat in a couch. I was very surprised to see it was 87% polyester. A plastic couch for $1800?

Thank you!

Default Re: Fabrics to avoid / go for when selecting a sofa?

Fabrics can be costly - you're going to see more and more man-made fiber content in materials for not only that cost aspect, but also because of stain resistance. However, most man-made fibers will 'pill' and show some wear with use. I think the best fabrics I've ever seen were the European blends of Cotton, Wool and Linen that we used to sell in the late 80's / early 90's. The ones from Belgium were fantasticand would easily last 20 years or longer. Prices just kept on increasing on these high quality materials until consumers said "no" and then they pretty much disappeared when they were hitting the $ 125 per yard level. There are still lots of good fabrics out there (Schumacher, Pindler & Pindler, etc) but you have to pay the price. In good fabrics you'll be at that $ 1,800 price just for the material alone.

Manufacturers are loathe to put high-end fabrics in their lineups - they are very much aware of price resistance. So they will tend to show primarily cheapies - ones that would retail for $ 15 to $ 25 per yard. The story is the same - consumer want high quality but don't want to pay for it. However they will usually have some premium materials in their lineup - just not very many. My suggestion is not to shop price so much withing a given line, but to look at the material in terms of style, hand and longevity. If you just want to eat burgers and milkshakes on the sofa, then just get Crypton and be done with it - this is as close to bulletproof as upholstery material can get:

http://www.cryptonfabric.com/About/

However its boring, doesn't have much 'hand' to it, and there is no style.

I tend to like blends, and especially double-wovens for their resistance to stretching and overall longevity. Bright colors that pop are something else to consider - cheap fabrics look like they were all washed together in dirty water and have no life to them. A Cotton/Rayon blend is decent for a mid-price.

Bloomies is not exactly cutting edge in upholstery, BTW....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

beerme1 Guest

Hi. Have been looking around and around and around and around and cant seem to find what we want and am going to settle to get a style of sofa and love seat that we want. I've seen a couple manufactures with the construction I want but not the style which has been a big letdown.
    Because I think the style we want is only made in crap category. Not really sure why that is though.
    Anyway I think we are going to get a set by Palliser. The model is Regent and we will get a dual power sofa with a drop down tray and a dual power loveseat with console. We have decided on fabric and it is Bela in the color of Bon Bon which is a deep brown/chocolate 100% poly feels like suede.
    Is that a durable option? Can you steer me to something else? If not on the fabric the set? Or am I just hijacking the wrong thread entirely?

Thanks
    Willy

Sounds like a microfiber if 100% poly and it feels like suede. That's a long wearing, usually inexpensive material that tends to be easy to clean.
    Duane Collie

beerme1 Guest

Thanks for the timely reply. Any chance you can weigh in on the rest of my dilema? The high back reclining drop down tray issue? I had one local person react like only a hick would want that lol. And another tell me they dont do that anymore and I need to change!
    I know what I want and am willing to pay a reasonable price. More for better build. But I CANT find it!!
    Even a close to home amish manufacturer called Ort had a style I could have tolerated because the build quality blew me away with but wont do the drop down. Of course he did have some hick prints on some although they wopuld look good in a lodge or hunting cabin.
    If you cant help me with the furniture part, can you tell me if I am in fact a hick then
    All this aggravation has led me to this Palliser group that I am so less than impressed with but style wise works.

Thanks again

Well, we in the trade call that a Joe-6-Pack sofa, when you see the drop-down trays. Those have largely gone the way of the typewriter, and few - if any - better makers do them. Now, if you REALLY want to pursue it, we could probably get Hancock and Moore to custom build one in their Austin Dual Recliner. But you won't like the price.....
    Duane Collie

beerme1 Guest

Lol thanks! I'm guessing by custom from them we are in $5k sofa plus $3k love amount then.

Again thank you!

JSP!

Ci2Eye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Well, we in the trade call that a Joe-6-Pack sofa, when you see the drop-down trays. Those have largely gone the way of the typewriter, and few - if any - better makers do them. Now, if you REALLY want to pursue it, we could probably get Hancock and Moore to custom build one in their Austin Dual Recliner. But you won't like the price.....
    Having Hancock and Moore custom build a sofa like that strikes me as a bit like having Ferrari custom build a new F12 Berlinetta with a bench seat and a column shifter. Nothing wrong with bench seats and column shifters; they are great in pickup trucks and, like the dual reclining sofa, very practical but there are some things that just don't go together.
    Last edited by Ci2Eye; 06-27-2012 at 12:35 AM.

beerme1 Guest

Oh well. Like I originally said we are being forced to settle on this stuff which we think will work better than the home theater stuff in front of our 80" Sharp. I thought Smith Brothers might have something but not quite.
    Too bad though that someone cant quality in this environment.

OK, hold onto your hat. I have the H&M Rodeo Sofa that does all that. It's been a while since I've seen one and I forgot the center cushion has a drop down tray with brass cupholders. The arms lift up and there are active USB ports in each one as as well as storage for remotes and magazines. This sofa was originally made as a custom for a gentleman in Texas that wanted to do all his business from the comfort of the sofa! It has dual recliners, power. I'm going to try to get some detail photos and post them here. Its a high quality build and in leather (which I would definitely get with food/drink in a drop down tray use). Price is north of $ 5K but south of $ 10K, depending on the cover.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=2034

Last edited by drcollie; 06-27-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Duane Collie