Thread: Best Type of Mattress for Platform Bed?

zen4life Guest

Default Best Type of Mattress for Platform Bed?

I am looking for a mattress for a new platform bed I ordered. I wondered if there was a type of mattress that is best suited for a platform bed. I was looking into either purchasing a Shifman coil mattress (mid line) or a high quality natural latex bed. Would one type work better than the other? I realize that any mattress will feel firmer on a platform.

On the Shifman site, they say that if the mattress goes on a platform only 1/2 the warranty applies. Also, another quote they mentioned states "Buying a mattress on a foundation is like buying an automobile without shock absorbers."

Makes me think twice about buying an expensive Shifman and putting it on a platform.

Thoughts?

Pat

Default Re: Best Type of Mattress for Platform Bed?

Most bed warranties, Shifman included, aren't worth the paper they are printed on. They cover manufacturing DEFECTS, not performance, and most end users confuse the two. 99.8% of all mattresses are replaced because of failure of the internal components from wear and use, not defects. Think of the mattress like you would a pair of blue jeans. What ever goes wrong on blue jeans? Not much, you just wear them out over time, or soil them, etc. I can never recall a pair of jeans I had that had a manufacturing defect due to workmanship or material flaws. Same with mattresses.

Defects in bedding subject to warranty replacement are typically limited to stitching that unravels (I'm had one instance of this in 27 years of selling bedding), broken internal springs (never had one), exterior fabric cover splitting because of defective weave (never), Edge spring failure (never). That's about it.

The reason they say its 'half warranty' or 'no warranty' unless you buy their box springs is quite simply to scare you into buying two pieces. That applies to all makers, not just Shifman. You'll be just fine buying a mattress for the platform - I set that up all the time for customers. As to latex or cotton, its just what you prefer, both are premium products but do feel different when lying on them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

IRISFurniture.com Guest

I realise this thread is a couple of months old, but I feel compelled to add some information even if just for future reference for anyone else who may have this question.
    There are 3 basic types of foundations manufacturers use with mattress sets: flex or coiled (upper end Kingsdown for example), semi-flex (serta perfect sleeper for example), and non-flex (simmons for example). When you are going to be placing a mattress on a platform bed, you want to make sure that the mattress is designed for a non-flex foundation. As opposed to mattresses that are designed to be on a "working" foundation, mattresses that are designed for a solid foundation have a layer of high density foam on the bottom of the mattress that, in conjunction with the specific coil system the manufacturer uses, help to redirect the force back upward. This type of mattress is ALWAYS one sided or non-flip, and placing it on a platform bed will NOT effect your warranty. Simmons BeautyRest lines are a good fit for platform beds, although there are several options available out there. An all foam bed (latex or mem foam) would typically also have a "box" style foundation as well.
    In terms of the warranty being useless, I don't agree. The most common reason for a mattress being replaced under this warranty is "sagging", or coil failure in the center section of the mattress. The one thing to be aware of is that ANY stains or marks on the mattress will void the warranty, so use a good quality mattress pad or supplemental stain guard type warranty if your retailer offers it. You are paying for your manufacturer's warranty, so protect that investment.

Best Regards,
    Jim

marys1000 Guest

I checked in this thread because I put my mattress on a good slated futon frame on top of the thin wool/cotton futon it came with (its a motion futon that can break into a loveseat). I've been on this over 9 years and its fine other than the mattress needing to be replaced now. Seemed fine, I flipped it ever few months.

Its a medi-coil tri tech 2000 ther a pedic wool comfort and I doubt it was designed for a platform or non motion.

Those memory foam mattresses REALLY DO WORK!

My DH researched it and decided tempur pedic mattress was the next great thing. I was skeptical because unlike my DH, I have a bad back.

We couldn't agree on the mattress issue so our solution was he get a twin size tempur pedic and I would get a twin size quality mattress and we would just push the 2 together.

7 years later, I am sleeping on the tempur pedic when my back hurts too bad and he feels sorry for me and switches. Right now, he is suffering because he is on the other mattress which one of the pillowtop mattresses.
    Last edited by simplicity; 02-20-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Best Type of Mattress for Platform Bed?

Quote Originally Posted by zen4life View Post
    I am looking for a mattress for a new platform bed I ordered. I wondered if there was a type of mattress that is best suited for a platform bed. I was looking into either purchasing a Shifman coil mattress (mid line) or a high quality natural latex bed. Would one type work better than the other? I realize that any mattress will feel firmer on a platform.

On the Shifman site, they say that if the mattress goes on a platform only 1/2 the warranty applies. Also, another quote they mentioned states "Buying a mattress on a foundation is like buying an automobile without shock absorbers."

Makes me think twice about buying an expensive Shifman and putting it on a platform.

Thoughts?

Pat
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I agree that this is one of the most important thing we buy. But I'm afraid that I didn't get much out of your post.

I am on the market for so let me mention some of my hangups and maybe you can help me understand?

The last time I bought a mattress, I was able to get the price discounted by ~40% for a new unit. What is generally the wiggle room in price for a mattress that is in the $2000+ range? And what points can I negotiate on to get the best deal?

Trying out mattresses is not super helpful for me b/c how I lay on a surface for a few minutes doesn't really reflect how comfortable it'll be for a full night's rest. And I don't think there's a good way to simulate my sleeping style on a mattress in a public show room w/o actually taking a 45 minute nap on it. To make matters worse, I don't think i can articulate what I find comfortable in a mattress, I don't even know if I like firm or not. I can base it on the mattresses I own currently but they are different brands, different qualities, so does 'firm' mean the same thing with a Seaky pillowtop vs an Ikea firm?

Does it matter which store I get it from? Should I go to a 'sleep store' or a mattress clearance store, or a big box store?

Your embedded advertisement has been removed. Should you spam the forum or embed more ads, you will be banned and your posts deleted - DC
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-19-2019 at 12:00 PM.