Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oster Furniture Closing

Default Oster Furniture Closing

I'm sad to get an email from Steve Oster today informing me that he is closing his store (Oster Furniture in Morton Grove, IL) because of the poor economic climate.

Steve and I met in cyber-space over on the GardenWeb forum and he encouraged me to start an alternate forum where we could speak more freely, post photos and quote prices, etc. Without Steve's encouragement this forum you are reading today would probably not exist. He contributes here regularly and I hope he will continue to do so.

It is devastating to have to close your business. Not only do you lose your job and independence, but you lose the social contacts with your customers that come in on a regular basis. Many customers become friends, and when the store is shuttered, they're gone. Anyone I know in the small store furniture business puts their heart and soul into it - if it fails its like losing a family member. I don't know all the details of the closing but I know the pain and exhaustion of having to make that decison.

While the economy has everyone concerned, when the spending stops because consumers are frightened, the fallout is the failure of small businesses like Steves. I would encourage everyone who reads this to support the stores they like and trust, to keep them in business.

And Steve, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do. You're smart and savvy in the ways of the furniture biz and I hope you stay in the industry in some manner. Good, knowledgeable and honest people in the trade hard to find and you are an asset to our industry.

Best of luck,
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

artielange Guest

Recent changes in our economy have made me especially conscientious to seek out and support American businesses, manufacturing facilities and artistic craftmen to create the furniture, lighting, soapstone, cabinetry and many other items that are going into the vacation house that we are currently building. I completely immersed myself in finding a blacksmith who could create the artistic light fixture that I had in my head. It has been a rewarding effort and one I hope to always continue.
    Last edited by artielange; 01-03-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by artielange View Post
    Recent changes in our economy have made me especially conscientious to seek out and support American businesses, manufacturing facilities and artistic craftmen to create the furniture, lighting, soapstone, cabinetry and many other items that are going into the vacation house that we are currently building. I completely immersed myself in finding a blacksmith who could create the artistic light fixture that I had in my head. It has been a rewarding effort and one I hope to always continue.
    I have just your guy if you need a blacksmih. Nick is the BEST. One man shop, will make anything....I have lots of his work in my store.

http://www.nathansforge.com/the_blacksmith.htm
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

artielange Guest

Thanks, Duane. I found a guy in Temecula, CA who made me an amazing pine bough chandelier (www.marklandforge.com) and he made prototypes of the kind of iron pinecone that I was looking for in two days, then incoroporated them into the design. His service and quality are amazing. I'll keep your guy in mind because I'm sure I have other projects coming up...

kperregaux Guest

Default custom forged lights

Hi: Not sure what you looking for but I am ordering a large custom forged chandelier from Walter haidle at www.lightcrafters.org So far I am please but don't have producxt in hand. He is a custom shop in Northern Ontario (not American, but certainly not an asian import)....Kathy

puhmuckel Guest

Default Got to have the big $$$

The cost of American made furniture is just not something that most of us are able to pay. Businesses are going under because the average American cannot afford to purchase quality and are forced to purchase junk from China. Few rich cats will not be able to keep this going in the long run.

soster Guest

Thank you for the kind words, Duane. Many customers have stopped by in the last couple days to wish us well. Two of them even brought food, which we appreciated a lot as nobody has been able to take lunch since we announced our closing!

I'll be around and checking in as I am able.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I'm sad to get an email from Steve Oster today informing me that he is closing his store (Oster Furniture in Morton Grove, IL) because of the poor economic climate.

Steve and I met in cyber-space over on the GardenWeb forum and he encouraged me to start an alternate forum where we could speak more freely, post photos and quote prices, etc. Without Steve's encouragement this forum you are reading today would probably not exist. He contributes here regularly and I hope he will continue to do so.

It is devastating to have to close your business. Not only do you lose your job and independence, but you lose the social contacts with your customers that come in on a regular basis. Many customers become friends, and when the store is shuttered, they're gone. Anyone I know in the small store furniture business puts their heart and soul into it - if it fails its like losing a family member. I don't know all the details of the closing but I know the pain and exhaustion of having to make that decison.

While the economy has everyone concerned, when the spending stops because consumers are frightened, the fallout is the failure of small businesses like Steves. I would encourage everyone who reads this to support the stores they like and trust, to keep them in business.

And Steve, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do. You're smart and savvy in the ways of the furniture biz and I hope you stay in the industry in some manner. Good, knowledgeable and honest people in the trade hard to find and you are an asset to our industry.

Best of luck,

nappyhairbigteethconsumer Guest

Hi Steve,

I'm really sorry to hear that and I hope everything works out quickly and well for you!

Best of luck,
    NHBT

kperregaux Guest

Default Different opinion

Quote Originally Posted by puhmuckel View Post
    The cost of American made furniture is just not something that most of us are able to pay. Businesses are going under because the average American cannot afford to purchase quality and are forced to purchase junk from China. Few rich cats will not be able to keep this going in the long run.
    I think the larger problem is the average American values quantity over quality and craftmanship and view most things as disposable. It takes alot of stuff to furnish today's big houses. Not to get nostalgic but most of our parents were quite satisfied with one sofa that last 20 years and then it moved to the basement. Even today most people could afford 1 quality sofa every 20 years instead of 2 cheap imports every 5 years.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Yes, but

A sofa yes, but I cannot afford a $10,000 Amoire no matter how long it will last. I do want quality, and I am not even an American but these prices are just too high.