Thread: Table Size for a Square Dining Room

ronfromontario Guest

Default Table Size for a Square Dining Room

I've enjoyed reading Duane Collie’s advice at another forum and I’m pleased I was able to find your current posting site. I'd appreciate advice on the most efficient use of the space in our 10 foot square dining room. There is a 5 foot open entry centred on one wall and a 44 inch window centred on the wall opposite the entry. We would like to seat at least 6 people and have some space for storage. We thought we could put a small hutch and server in the 38" spaces on either side of the window, but small pieces that are around 34" wide and 16" deep seem hard to find and will likely need to be custom made (any suggestions on suppliers would be appreciated). We're trying to figure out the best size/shape of table for this space. We are in Canada and would like to buy country styled traditional furniture from Canadian makers like Bermex, Camlen, or Canadel. All three make tables in a wide range of sizes and shapes with choices of leg, apron, finish etc. We're thinking of Windsor or ladder back chairs, as they don't take up much space. We're worried that this room could wind up looking too "jammed in". What table size/shape and furniture layout would you suggest? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ronfromontario View Post
    I'd appreciate advice on the most efficient use of the space in our 10 foot square dining room. There is a 5 foot open entry centred on one wall and a 44 inch window centred on the wall opposite the entry. We would like to seat at least 6 people and have some space for storage. We thought we could put a small hutch and server in the 38" spaces on either side of the window, but small pieces that are around 34" wide and 16" deep seem hard to find and will likely need to be custom made (any suggestions on suppliers would be appreciated). We're trying to figure out the best size/shape of table for this space. We are in Canada and would like to buy country styled traditional furniture from Canadian makers like Bermex, Camlen, or Canadel. All three make tables in a wide range of sizes and shapes with choices of leg, apron, finish etc. We're thinking of Windsor or ladder back chairs, as they don't take up much space. We're worried that this room could wind up looking too "jammed in". What table size/shape and furniture layout would you suggest? Thanks!
    One of the best things you can do is to use an online room furniture planner. Jordan Furniture has a good one here and it will quickly show you what will and won't fit:

http://www.jordans.com/roomplanner.asp

General thoughts...

24" table linear area per guest is the rule of thumb, and allow that same amount of space at table for 'swing out' room to pull a chair away from the table for guests to get up and enter the chairs. That means an un-cramped table for 6 is going to measure in the neighborhood of 72" x 36". Avoid round tables, they don't make efficient use of space.

Windsor chairs are excellent. FAR stronger and more comfortable than Ladderbacks. My choice for good country chairs. Make sure the spindles and legs come through the back bow and seats, that's called bore and wedge construction and the key to longevity. When they are simply glued and pounded in, thats a glue socket design and they have a 10 to 15 year life span before they get the wobbles. Properly made windsors will last generations, though expect to pay about $ 350 per side chair.

Here's a hutch that comes close to your measurements and style, from one of my favorite cabinentmakers in Ohio:

http://www.jltreharn.com/proddetail.php?prod=SNC304
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ronfromontario Guest

Default Your thoughts on other options?

Thank you for your thoughts and website links. Treharn furniture appears to be beautifully crafted. We will shop for Windsor chairs with the construction hallmarks you have described. Perhaps you could provide some further guidance:
    • Your comment on the inefficiencies of round tables is very useful; we had been considering that option. It is a 10 foot square room; would a square table increase seating capacity? A 54” square table would have the same linear edge length as a 72” X 36” rectangle and would leave 33” between the table edge and wall on each side. Would this configuration comfortably seat 8?
    • A square table or the 72”X36” rectangle will not leave much space for additional pieces and my chances of finding a small buffet and server look slim. Are corner cabinets functional? I imagine they are limited in their capacity, but they are available in suitable sizes as stock items. With only a table and chairs, would the room look unfinished?
    • In Canada, the fine quality U.S. makers that your store carries will likely not be available. We were considering having pieces custom built by Ontario Amish/Mennonite makers; your observations on comparative quality were instructive. We’re considering three Canadian companies that appear to have good quality standards. All are in Quebec, where makers use a lot of pine, maple and birch, a wood that you haven’t described in your other postings. It may be less common in America. Links to the table sections of their websites follow.
    • Camlen has a 72” rectangle and has a table that extends to a 60” square. They also have an unusual butterfly design. A square 60” would leave 30” from table edges to walls.
    http://www.camlenantiques.com/anglais/tables.html
    Canadel has a 36”X72” (with leaves in) and has a 48” square that they indicate seats 6; if can’t accommodate 8, the added width seems a waste. They have a 60” square (with leaf in). They also have an unusual 66” triangle.
    http://www.canadel.ca/tables_grid.ph...en&section=351
    Bermex has a 38X72, a 38X54 that extends to 72 and square tables that are 42” and 60”.
    http://www.bermex.ca/produits/aut_pieces_eng.php

Custom sizes are available from these makers; however I suspect a custom 54” square table would be much more expensive than a stock size. If you suggest it is best to stay with the 72”X36”, these makers offer choices of different styles of legs or double pedestals. Have you a recommendation in this area?

Thank you for your patience with all these questions. Your efforts in providing this information are greatly appreciated.
    Ron