Thread: Shopping for sofa and want fabric that will not fuzz

schalexandria Guest

Default Shopping for sofa and want fabric that will not fuzz

I'm a newbie so hope I'm doing this right!! Love reading all the great info on this sight.
    I have gone to 4 different places looking for upholstery for a sofa. Want something that is
    going to keep that "new" look and not get "fuzzy looking" like previous "commercial upholstery" that was suppose to stand up so well. The furniture piece wasn't used a great amount, and in 3 years it looked terrible, fuzzy all over and not like the original fabric. Noticed some pieces that look similar to that upholstery that after rubbing on it some, it too gets fuzzy. What fiber might be causing that? They have 2 or 3 of the following fibers: polyester, acrylic, nylon, and/or rayon. Some no rayon. I would like advice on what fabrics/companies you have found that produce quality fabrics that will last several years. Lastly, anyone have feelings one way or another about Nichols and Stone; Smith Brothers; and Flexsteel. I have fairly limited brands in the area. I'm hoping to get a sofa for under $2000 that will look good for years and that will not snag easy, fuzz, sag, etc. and that will clean easily and be tolerant of a 20 lb. dog. Thank you.

Default Re: Shopping for sofa and want fabric that will not fuzz

Its not the brands, its the fabric content. What you are seeing 'fuzzing' is known as 'pilling'. Here's a Wiki article that explains it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pill_(textile)

Read that and you will know more than 99% of all furniture store salespeople!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.