Thread: How are the quality of this executive desk and lateral file by Hooker?

zheng Guest

Default How are the quality of this executive desk and lateral file by Hooker?

I've been a long visitor, but first time poster here. Thanks very much for Duane to host this forum so now I can have the knowledge to deal with sales.

we came across an executive desk and lateral file in a local high end furniture store which is holding a "retirement sale". The desk is put on sale for $2500, and the lateral file is $1000.

The pictures of the executive desk can be found at
    http://www.hookerfurniture.com/index...utive-desk.cfm

and the lateral file
    http://www.hookerfurniture.com/index...teral-file.cfm

I really need to know before purchase are
    1, is Hooker still a reputable brand for high quality furniture? I recall there are some threads in the forum complaining the declination of Hooker's quality since they moved their production to China?

2, Are the prices reasonable for both cases? they are both around 40% off from tag price which I know are not realistic generally.

3, the sales told me that the wood for both cases are cherry, and the top of the desk is myrtle burl veneers with hardwood solids. Do you think the other parts are all solid cherry? I kind of doubt it but I have no way to find it out.

Thanks a lot for any ideas and suggestions.

Default Re: How are the quality of this executive desk and lateral file by Hooker?

Glad you find the forum useful!

Hooker would not be deemed 'high quality', its very average and is typical of Chinese made product we see in-country these days. I'm not saying its 'bad', but its not 'good', either. Right down the middle. They use a lot of veneer and shortcut production assembly methods. Resale value is marginal at best.

40% off MSRP is regular selling retail, no bargain there.

They won't be using solid cherry throughout, no one does - not even the high end makers. Cherry is simply too costly to use as secondary woods. I'm not sure I'm buying into a Myrtle Burl veneer with solid cherry sides, that's a bizarre combination. More likely they are correct on the top, and the sides are veneers as well, that would be more typical of Hooker.

If you like the pieces, buy them! They won't disintegrate on you and though those are not firesale prices, they're fair.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

zheng Guest

Default Re: How are the quality of this executive desk and lateral file by Hooker?

Thanks Duane. This is very informative. I guess I'll need some time to reconsider it. Many thanks, again.