Thread: How can I improvise a lining for this chair's springs

indigo_dave Guest

Default How can I improvise a lining for this chair's springs

I rescued a chair from my neighbor's curb. I loved the design. I stripped and refinished it.
    Although I did a less than professional job, it was an improvement. Now I need to put cushions in. I got one estimate of $ 350 for custom cusions with some sort of lining under the seat cushion. Way to high for me to pay for this chair. The 3 other local upholstry places I know of in the Orlando area are all closed on Saturday (it must be a really lucrative business if they don't need to be open for business on a Saturday).

The original lining over the springs and metal strips was hemp or jute or something like that. There was also a thin cushion acting as a sort of lining between the metal and seat cushion. The springs and metal straps seem to be in very taught and solid shape.

What can I do to put some sort of protective lining without having to learn a whole new trade ? I found some cushions at WalMart that I think will work, but I need something between the seat cushion and the metal strips. Someone thought 1/8" plywood might work.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120729_105243.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	3837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120623_123209.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	3838  

Rafree1 Guest

Default Re: How can I improvise a lining for this chair's springs

"Without having to learn a whole new trade" Well, that brings back memories. My husband and I, in our younger days reupholstered an old love seat. The bones of the love seat were great and we were poor students who could not hire someone to recover it. We got a book and step by step recovered that thing. Twenty some years later his mother was still using it. And we learned a new skill! We also learned what hard work it is to do it right so I don't think most custom shops are charging too much for their work. It's really labor intensive!

For that chair you could try the plywood but, if that doesn't work out for you then you always have the option to take it to someone to fix for you later. You could weave great big strips of seat belt material through the metal slats and attach them into the sides carefully. Or you could cover the plywood with an under cushion type material. I would not lay my new cushion on bare plywood. I wouldn't mess with it myself, really that's a solid wood chair. Take it to someone to make you a good foundation that will last you a lifetime. Put in a good cushion and never have to worry about it again. I've refinished a lot of old pieces in my day. It's always worth it to do it the way you REALLY want it to be for good the first time.