Thread: McNary in Brigade Saddle

Default McNary in Brigade Saddle

Just received my McNary sofa in Brigade Saddle. The gimp is the reverse of Brigade Saddle and used buffalo nails along the bottom. H&M felt five buttons on the back would be preferable to the standard 3, and I totally agree.

The leather is very thick and rustic. It is a beautiful brown.

Didn't get a change to take photos in outside light as they brought it in the house to unwrap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furniture 160.jpg 
Views:	904 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	3861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furniture 157.jpg 
Views:	1113 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	3860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furniture 152.jpg 
Views:	875 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	3859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furniture 151.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	3858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furniture 143.jpg 
Views:	902 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	3857

Rafree1 Guest

Default Re: McNary in Brigade Saddle

That is very beautiful! Wow! I love how you went with the more rustic look with that particular leather. That's just lovely!

That came out great! Good pick, Mike.

Backstory :

This leather was new at Spring Market, and I'd not seen it made up yet. It's a thickly cut leather, and during the upholstery process they finished the piece and the final inspector wasn't entirely happy with the way it turned out with the standard three buttons across the back. There was too much leather 'edge' and he thought it unsightly. He went into the executive offices and asked them to come take a look at the piece, then I received a phone call from the CEO of H&M recommending that we go with (5) buttons across the back to make it look more finished. Mike agreed to their recommendation and this is the final result.

In this day and age, how many people working in the factory would do that? It wasn't defective or made incorrectly, the final inspector just thought they could make it look better and took the time and effort to pursue that. Ya'll hear me praise H&M a lot for going the extra mile on pieces because they have such pride in workmanship in what they make - and this is a perfect example of taking the time to make it better at no extra charge to the end user. This is why I love this company - they care what goes out the door and its not just lip service. I know H&M costs more - but you do get more, too.

That's a great looking piece. Its going to get some wonderful patina on it as it ages with use, too. Appreciate your business, Mike!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you, Duane, for your guidance and patience in helping me make my choices. Thanks to H&M as well. The 5 buttons give it a tailored look, so hats off to them for caring to offer improvements. Duane called me just before he left for Europe and asked my approval to make the change. Since this was a new leather, I was worried H&M was having to make the most of a questionable selection of this leather for the McNary frame, so I called them the next day to ask if they felt I needed to make any other adjustments. The person at H&M took the time to go to the back and look at the sofa and explain to me the reason for the change and assured me the sofa looks fantastic and that I will be very happy with my choices. She even offered to let me talk to the CEO if I wanted. Truly hands-on service!

The McNary is extremely comfortable and looks sharp and tight. I cannot say how much I really love the look of Brigade. It feels thick and "real" and makes a statement.

I will also say it is a lesson in obtaining samples. The leather is spot-on with the sample from H&M, but looks nothing like the picture on their website. Had I not seen the photos Duane put up of the Spring Market new samples, I would never have given it a thought. But it is exactly what I envisioned when I first decided I needed a new sofa for the house.

spbell Guest

You lucky dog, what a stunning sofa!

anaye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by motley View Post
    The McNary is extremely comfortable and looks sharp and tight.
    Motley,
    We are looking at the Newton Tight Back chair which has a similar back to the McNary (not a typical pillow back style). Since we have never sat in one of these could you tell us the difference between how the McNary sits and a regular pillow back couch? Is it firmer? etc?
    Thanks

Love the outcome. The Brigade Saddle leather looks wonderful - so rustic and the inherent marks simply make you want to sit on it, rather than avoid it because you're too scared to mark a brand new sofa. Fantastic choice. That's an additional leather to add to our sample selection request!

anaye,

The McNary sits firm and fairly upright with just the right amount of recline. It also retains the shape of the back better than a loose cushion. One does not sink into the sofa yet it is comfortable to sit or lie on. I am not a fan of loose cushions, so I may be biased, but tight back sofas seem not to show wear. Overtime, a pillow cushion will slouch and loose shape. A tightback retains its shape and does not soften nearly as much as a pillow cushion.

Motley