Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather cleaner

Judyg951 Guest

Default Leather cleaner

I currently have some Thomasville leather furniture and need a suggestions as to what I need to get to clean and condition the leather. I have not done anything special to clean it and would like to get it looking it's best so that I can put it up for sale sometime in the next month or so.

Default Re: Leather cleaner

I use the Leather Magic product on everything in my house (H&M, Leathercraft, and B-Y) as well as the leather in my car interiors. I'm real pleased with the way it performs, even my 2008 car shows zero wear and cracking on the interior, but I do apply it about every 90 days so that's probably why.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

The leather looks perfect and honestly I have never done much to it other than vacuum or dust it. I assure you we will take very good care of our new furniture when it comes.

Is there a particular Leather Magic product we should use?

You will want the aniline cleaner and conditioner.
    Duane Collie

Judyg951 Guest

Will that work on my new furniture as well?

Yes!
    Duane Collie

Judyg951 Guest

I've been looking on Amazon and I have no idea which cleaner to get. None of them say aniline or any other type. annoying to say the least.

That's why you get it from my Store. I know the right product for your leather, and ship it Priority Mail.
    Duane Collie

astonmartin Guest

I learned the hard way about using the correct cleaner. I have three pieces of leather that my husband and I saved dearly for: a Hancock and Moore recliner in a protected leather, and a Craftsman by Stickley sofa and ottoman in an aniline leather. I read the message on my Hancock and Moore chair and bought a Leather Master cleaning kit online, the one that comes in a box with two sponges, two cloths, and two 250ml bottles, one of soft cleaner, the other protection cream. Very gently, and I mean like wiping a new born's butt with a barely damp sponge, I wiped the arms of my Hancock and Moore recliner. It immediately lightened the leather. Fortunately, I hadn't gone to town on it or it would have been ruined. It now looks like pulled leather on the arms, which in retrospect, is kind of cool. I wiped the rest of the chair with water only on a barely damp cloth. Gingerly, I applied the cream. It made the leather kind of hazy, like it needed more buffing. Unfortunately, more buffing did not improve the look. So much for my experience on my Hancock and Moore recliner.

Nearly in tears and at the same time mad as h*** I contemplated what to do with my $35 Leather Master kit. Before using the cleaner on the aniline sofa I tested it on the piece of leather under the middle seat cushion. It did not remove the color. I very cautiously proceeded to clean the sofa and it turned out perfectly. Why I didn't do that simple test on my chair is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Putting the box away I wondered why life has to be so d*** confusing. I'm sure the cowboys didn't have to ask for help finding the correct saddle soap in their day.

Always a good idea to test an inconspicuous area first. Some leathers react differently with cleaners and conditioners than others. In almost all instances however, they return back to normal when dry.
    Duane Collie