Thread: Sloan Sofa Question

Vegas Guest

Default Sloan Sofa Question

The Sloan Sofa (4353) is 36 inches high. Is that tall enough for a 6'1" man to sit on and have his head supported? Its hard to tell because I am not sure how much pitch the back has which would help, I guess. For sure, do not want a sofa that is not tall enough. The Sloane is so elegant I hope I will have good news.

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Sloan Sofa Question

I've never seen a Sloan (although I'd really like to), but since the seat height is 20" and I assume the 36" back measurement is the highest point on the back as measured from the floor (the ends of the upswept back) my guess is that unless his inseam is about 57" he won't be leaning his head against the back. In order for head-leaned-back lounging I suspect you will have to look at high-backed pieces like Journey and Austin High Back. They'll never look as low and sleek as the Sloan, though. I think sleek vs lean back is one of those "pick one or the other" kind of choices.

I rarely use the sofa I have now, and even more rarely have guests at my house so I often daydream of a Sloan thinking looking nice would be more useful to me than lounging comfort. But I doubt I could ever do it. For one thing, I don't think the rest of my living room is suited to one. Kinda that whole "lace on a bowling ball" sort of thing.

Vegas Guest

Thank you for the input. It is so difficult to choose just the right sofa without actually sitting in one.

I would have to say 'no', this sofa will not fully support the head of a 6' 1" man when sitting upright in the piece. To meet that criteria, you will need a sofa that is closer to the 39" - 40" high mark. But that raises other issues as well, most foremost is style. Not many of the high back model sofas look very svelte, most will have a very utilitarian form to them at that size. And you many not really need that much support - my suggestion is to put a tape measure in your pocket and head out to any furniture store, try a few different height and measure them. Seat heights are fairly universal at 20" off the floor, so you'll find the largest dimensional variable to be in the height among models. You may find a 36" height sofa is just fine.

I find the Sloan to be very comfortable, and the one we did recently in the GR 4 leather (photos posted here) was one of the most handsome sofas ever to come though my store.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.