Thread: Maitland Smith

Vegas Guest

Default Maitland Smith

I just told a friend of mine about the furniture forum because we both are shopping for new sofas. She recently ordered a Maitland Smith chaise lounge in leather from a local dealer here in Las Vegas, NV. From the catalog photos she showed me it is quite a substantial piece with claw type legs.

She paid quite a hefty price for the piece and is expecting delivery in about six weeks.

I'm assuming is made somewhere in Asia. What do you think about Maitland Smith leather upholstery quality? Something tells me it has a plywood frame. I thought MS only made lamps and accessories.

Default Re: Maitland Smith

I don't really know. Browsing their website, I find two things on build. In their FAQ section (doesn't really address WHERE their workshop is located):

"The vast majority of our furniture and accessories are made in our own workshops. In addition, we are always searching the world for those highly-skilled artisans who can make specific components to meet our design and quality expectations."

I also find this on their site, which USA-makers don't usually post on theirs:

The California Transparency in Supply Chains Act of 2010 was enacted to increase the amount of information made available by manufacturers and retailers regarding their efforts (if any) to address the issue of slavery and human trafficking, thereby allowing consumers to make better, more informed choices regarding the products they buy and the companies they choose to support.
    We are dedicated to conducting business in a lawful and ethical manner, and it is our expectation that our suppliers also conduct themselves in such a manner.

To ensure that our suppliers comply with these expectations, we have implemented a process that includes:

Compliance with Our Code of Conduct- We obligate our suppliers by contract to comply with our Manufacturing Code of Conduct, which requires among other things, that our suppliers “will not use any forced or involuntary labor, whether prison, bonded, indentured or otherwise.” Our suppliers are expected to require the same standards of their suppliers in turn.

Supplier Audits- We conduct on-site audits of our suppliers in the developing world to evaluate supplier’s compliance with our Manufacturing Code of Conduct and the prohibitions on using child or forced labor. While we may retain third parties to perform these audits and these audits may be unannounced, our employees generally conduct these audits and provide the supplier with notice of the upcoming audit.

Employee Training- We train employees responsible for supply chain management, including those employees who perform on-site audits, on how to identify and respond to supply chain issues, such as forced labor or child labor.

Consequences for Non-Compliance- Suppliers will be terminated if we discover any presence of child or forced labor, and any employees who ignore any signs of child or forced labor are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.