Thread: Harden

kperregaux Guest

Default Harden

I have been searching for a classic round or oval table for my living room. Nothing too clean (mission or shaker) and would like it to have an apron. came across this piece (solid cherry, handcrafted of solid cherry in upstate NY)? Anyone own any Harden furniture or a have any experience with them. I can buy the table for ~$1000 delivered to MA. picture attached
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think the form on that table is terrible. Its out of balance from a design aspect, heavy on the ends and ponderous looking.

Been many years since I was a Harden dealer and back in the 80's the pieces were made in upstate New York, but I don't know if they still run their domestic production facility.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kperregaux Guest

Default please suggest other manufacturers

If you know of any mfr that make an oval or round table please post. Txs. Kathy

kperregaux Guest

Default Stickey oval table

Duane: DO you think Stickley's is disproportionate as well? Kathy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	directoire.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	126  

Default Harden vs. Stickley

Harden is still being made in McConnellsville, NY. I think the 5th generation of the family runs the company now. I can't speak to Duane's opinion on the proportions of the table, but the company has a long firm reputation for making excellent quality solid wood furniture.
    Regarding Stickley -- I have a Stickley Mission style cherry dining room and occasional tables in my own home and have never regretted the decision to purchase them. It has been nearly 10 years since I bought the Stickley pieces and they still get rave reviews from new guests. The cherry wood has grown a bit darker with age, (which is one of its characteristics) but if anything, that only makes it look better.

Quote Originally Posted by kperregaux View Post
    Duane: DO you think Stickley's is disproportionate as well? Kathy
    That one looks better. Moving a leg slightly over can have a big effect on appearances together with design cues such as the inlays and roseettes, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.