Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Diesel Truck Emissions

Default New Diesel Truck Emissions

I bought a brand new truck in July to replace my aging, but reliable Isuzu that gave us 12 years of solid surface. While shocked at the price of new trucks (I paid $ 27K for the old one in 2000, the new one - same model - was $ 54K in 2012), I have to say I am really impressed with the new engines. They are designed for Zero Emissions and sport a 'clean idle' sticker on the door. The exhaust system is very complex appearing and I imagine quite costly to repair. With 3,000 miles on the truck now, I really like the fact it makes virtually no noise - its very quiet, even under power. This results in much less fatigue when driving in it all day, and its noticeable. I didn't realize how loud our old one was until this one came along.

The best part though, is there are no diesel fumes from this truck. None. I can park it right next to my entrance door and have it idle while we load onto it, and there is not even a whiff of fumes. I can put my face right in the exhaust and not smell a thing. That's something I thought would never be accomplished in a truck diesel engine. Hat's off the engineer's who were able to build this, and to the government for mandating this on all new commercial trucks. It will make ours a cleaner, less noisy world.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: New Diesel Truck Emissions

Clean diesel is huge in Europe. I wish we would get back to the day when diesel was less expensive than other gasoline products, so we could better benefit in this country from clean, high efficiency diesel vehicles.

MJM_CA Guest

Clean diesel went from 500 ppm sulfur to 15 ppm (now Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) a few years ago. They have to also add lubricity additive since the higher sulfur used to act as a lubricant. The additional processing and additives cost money that is passed onto the consumer.

I'm sure that accounts for a large portion of the nearly double of the price of the truck in 12 years. The truck dealers tell me that right before they mandated this new exhaust standard, people were rushing to buy the remaining new ones on the old smoky systems to save money on the purchase price, and to avoid having the expense of adding Diesel Emissions Fluid constantly. I don't really mind paying more for a cleaner, quieter truck as I'm a bit of an environmentalist (and make sure all our packing cardboard for all the furniture we sell goes into the cardboard re-cycle dumpster), I just hope it will be a good and reliable emissions system through the years.
    Duane Collie

I'm told the new vehicles have the mandated ceramic diesel particulate-capture filters. That and the clean diesel make a gigantic difference.

Duane,

I just had a new 55 in. Panasonic plasma TV delivered (purchased from Magnolia/Best Buy).
    To my surprise it was delivered by Pilot Freight Services in your old truck. Someone had tried to remove your store ad from the side but the lettering was still legible, albeit really faint. The driver said it ran well, and that the former owner must have maintained it well. I told him I'm sure he did (with a smile).

Regarding the TV, Panasonic has announced they are exiting the plasma market right on the heals of introducing what the experts are calling the best picture on any TV ever. Being a longtime plasma fan I decided to move my 50 in. Pioneer Elite to the basement and take advantage of a last opportunity for a best in class (and maybe ever) new Panny.

Larry

That's hilarious! Was it my old white Isuzu or my blue cab Freightliner, I wonder? I always keep them up, but the trips to New England in the winter corrode them so badly in the chassis and engine that rust becomes a real issue, as does replacing parts. So once they start getting rusty and have been fully depreciated, I get a new one. The newer ones run so much quieter and smoother, they've become much more luxurious as well, though a really good bump in the road can still send you into the headliner.
    Duane Collie

White with a stubby cab. The driver said it was dependable with no problems. Must have been the good upbringing from the former owner.

harland Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cuse69 View Post
    Regarding the TV, Panasonic has announced they are exiting the plasma market right on the heals of introducing what the experts are calling the best picture on any TV ever. Being a longtime plasma fan I decided to move my 50 in. Pioneer Elite to the basement and take advantage of a last opportunity for a best in class (and maybe ever) new Panny.
    That's funny - I did the same thing when I read the announcement - got a new 60" ZT60. I missed the boat on the Kuro when it was still being manufactured so I didn't want to make the same 'mistake' again. I looked at the new LCD 4K displays and though they were super-crisp up close, I wasn't convinced that the extra pixels would make that much of a difference at a normal viewing distance. The motion artifacts during action scenes were distracting too. Though the wallet is significantly lighter, I can safely say that I'm glad I made the purchase. It's an excellent TV and hopefully will last many years...

I purchased the 55VT60. I could not see any difference in PQ between the VT and the ZT in the store environment and the price comparison of a 60VT60 was almost 25% less than the ZT (and the ZT was not offered in 55in., my first choice in size). The ZT will be the new gold standard that replaces the KURO. Luckily I have a great Pioneer Elite Pro (the predecessor to the KURO) and now a new VT60.