Thread: Confused

mrcd Guest

Default Confused

I'm in the market for leather sofa. Reading through the forum has been so informative. By far best educational site I've seen thus far. I still do have a few questions.

1) Aside from H&M, what other company should I be looking at in same price and quality range? Or any other brand same quality but less expensive?

2) I looked at September line. The sales lady said I can choose from any document leather. Is the "copper" the only married document, which as I understand is synonomous to the Town and Country program?

3) HM Leather. Are they produced in either Germany or China(married) only?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by mrcd; 01-11-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcd View Post
    I'm in the market for leather sofa. Reading through the forum has been so informative. By far best educational site I've seen thus far. I still do have a few questions.

1) Aside from H&M, what other company should I be looking at in same price and quality range? Or any other brand same quality but less expensive?

2) I looked at September line. The sales lady said I can choose from any document leather. Is the "copper" the only married document, which as I understand is synonomous to the Town and Country program?

3) HM Leather. Are they produced in either Germany or China(married) only?
    Thanks.
    H&M can be pricey in upper leathers, however its my feeling that you can get an extremely good value in the Town and Country line IF you stay in the promotional leathers. In other words, H&M's $ 2,500 sofa in that group will outperform anyone elses $ 2,500 sofa hands down. If you take that same H&M sofa and put a class 3 hide on it, then it balloons up to $ 3,800 or so and it makes the other guy's $ 2,500 sofa more appealing.

Other brands? Leathercraft, Bradington-Young, Classic Leather, Omni, Southwood.....but you have to watch the price/value points.

In the September Sofa, the lead (married cover) leather is Document Copper which I sell at $ 2,193 plus shipping. Any other of the Document Colors (26 others to choose from) are non-married covers and will take the price to $ 2,526 plus shipping. Same leather, only the married cover is cut and sewn in China and the non-married is cut and sewn in Hickory NC. To take this one step further so you can see the pricing, coming OUT of the Town and Country program in the September sofa and putting a Grade 2 Kipling leather on it as an example takes the price to $ 3,766. See how it works?

H&M leather come from all over the world. Only two hides are from China, and they are Document and Cavalier. Other countries of origin of the hides are: USA, Canada, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina and probably a few I'm not even sure of.

Some of the married cover program is done in Hickory NC at the main plant - it really depends on the leather in the program.

Hope that explains it some.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mrcd Guest

It does. Many thanks.

mrcd Guest

The only furniture store close to us that carries HM only has the Clivedon on the floor. They are willing to get other pieces for us to sit on, however, I feel bad asking them to do so knowing I will more than likely not buy from them.

With that said, are there differences between the Clivedon, September and Journey other than style?

How much is Clivedon sofa and loveseat in a class 2 leather, from China and not from China? (Another report in paper today about Chinese products-drywall). I''m choosing class 2 because this seems way to go with three small children and a small dog who likes hang out on couches. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!!

That's very generous of them to offer to order-in additional pieces, but of course you know if you did that the right thing to do is purchase from them.

The Clivedon is basically a September on steroids. Its larger in the back by 3" in height, and an inch longer overall. There's some minor style variances such as an arch along the front face frame, and it has some details changes in the front of the arms and along the seat edge. Mostly its the higher back cushion height, and the fact that Clivedon is not in the Town and Country program.

The Journey is also very similar to those two (above) and probably the main feature difference is the arm of the sofa has a well-defined curve to it as it transisitons front to back. The Journey is a sofa built for comfort, as are the other two.

None of these pieces are made in China or of Chinese components. All are done here in the USA in Hickory, NC. The only thing that comes from China under the Hancock and Moore brand name are two leathers of the many covers they offer, Document and Cavalier. Skip those hides and you'll not have anything from the Pacific Rim on your sofa. All the other hides in the line come from either the US, South America, Canada, Europe, or New Zealand.

Here's my pricing on the # 9745 Clivedon Sofa in various grades (don't rule out Grade 1, look at the Columbia group in that leather - its decent). Shipping additional on all based on where you live...etc...

Grade 1: $ 3,241
    Grade 2: $ 3,850
    Grade 3: $ 4,186
    Grade 4: $ 4,676
    Grade 5: $ 5,334

On the # 9744 Clivedon Loveseat:

Grade 1: $ 2,807
    Grade 2: $ 3.409
    Grade 3: $ 3,689
    Grade 4: $ 4,179
    Grade 5: $ 4,893

Thanks!

The only furniture store close to us that carries HM only has the Clivedon on the floor. They are willing to get other pieces for us to sit on, however, I feel bad asking them to do so knowing I will more than likely not buy from them.

With that said, are there differences between the Clivedon, September and Journey other than style?

How much is Clivedon sofa and loveseat in a class 2 leather, from China and not from China? (Another report in paper today about Chinese products-drywall). I''m choosing class 2 because this seems way to go with three small children and a small dog who likes hang out on couches. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!!
    Duane Collie

mrcd Guest

Thanks. Unfortunately, the only HM I can try out is the Clivedon. I'd have to sit on it again to really get an idea of how comfy it is. My wife and I have different opinions of "comfy". I'd like to sink into a couch and become one with it. She likes it soft but not marshmellow soft.

When I look at photos of the Journey sofa it looks so comfy. Would the Clivedon, Journey, September and other similar appearing couches have the same type of feel. We plan on sitting on the Clivedon this weekend, I'm just not sure if it's too formal looking. This is for our family/great room.

PS. HM had very good things to say about you. I called them. :-)

Talking

Thanks. Unfortunately, the only HM I can try out is the Clivedon. I'd have to sit on it again to really get an idea of how comfy it is. My wife and I have different opinions of "comfy". I'd like to sink into a couch and become one with it. She likes it soft but not marshmellow soft.

When I look at photos of the Journey sofa it looks so comfy. Would the Clivedon, Journey, September and other similar appearing couches have the same type of feel. We plan on sitting on the Clivedon this weekend, I'm just not sure if it's too formal looking. This is for our family/great room.

PS. HM had very good things to say about you. I called them. :-)
    Ho boy, that's a tough call without having them all lined up side-by-side. Its been a while since I've sat in a Clivedon, and at least 5 months since I sat in a Journey. Septembers roll through here all the time so those I'm pretty familiar with the way they feel. Going from memory, the Clivedon and September will have the same feel, but the September will be lower in the back height. The Journey as I recall has a slightly more upright back angle to it, which I happen to like. I don't think you'd be dissapointed in any of the pieces.

Of course the ladies at H&M Customer Service are going to say good things about me....I sent them a huge Harry and David Holiday Tower at Christmas for helping me out all year long - and they deserve it! I'm not smart enough to answer ALL these questions here on my own.....
    Duane Collie

mrcd Guest

WHOOPS! I didn't reply to this messaged correctly and erased the original question....sorry!

Well of course they like the power recliner sofa! They are fun to play with!

The Sundance series is really taking hold, and is the first of what I think you will see more of, pieces that are styled on the side and back as nicely as they are on the front. Expect to see more makers doing this in the near future, but right now H&M seems to be the leader in this look.

Equestrian should be fine as a leather choice. Though its an Aniline, its pretty tough with a serviceability of 2 rating (same as the finished leathers). I've sold a number of pieces in Equestrian and never had the first negative comment on the hide from any customer after they get it home and use it. While classed as 'unprotected' you will find it can stand up to most anything - just keep it out of direct sunlight. And yes, Berkshire is the 'deal' leather for the Sundance Series in Town and Country.

Current Pricing (shipping to be added to all):

4706 Ottoman:
    T&C Berkshire Harness $ 730
    T&C any other Berkshire $ 797
    Gr 1: $ 805
    Gr 2: $ 896
    Gr 3: $ 973

4707 Chair
    T&C Berkshire Harness $ 1,861
    T&C any other Berkshire $ 1,927
    Gr 1: $ 1,960
    Gr 2: $ 2,125
    Gr 3: $ 2,296

4714 Ottoman
    Gr 1: $ 826
    Gr 2: $ 973
    Gr 3: $ 1,064

4715 Chair
    Gr 1: $ 2,170
    Gr 2: $ 2,478
    Gr 3: $ 2,660

4716 Sofa
    T&C Berkshire Harness $ 3,324
    T&C any other Berkshire $ 3,639
    Gr 1: $ 3,213
    Gr 2: $ 3,815
    Gr 3: $ 4,165

4717 Sofa
    Gr 1: $ 3,857
    Gr 2: $ 4,508
    Gr 3: $ 4,893

Once you have your items picked out, I can quote shipping based on where you live. Thanks!

-Duane