Thread: Buying my first bedroom set & overwhelmed - Broyhill, Vaughan..? Who should I avoid?

AcidPop Guest

Question Buying my first bedroom set & overwhelmed - Broyhill, Vaughan..? Who should I avoid?

I'm a recent college graduate looking to buy my first bedroom set. Given the economy, I wasn't able to find a fantastic job even though I worked my butt off in college. I'm stuck with an only so-so one for now. So while I could technically afford a $5000 set with money I currently have in the bank, it probably wouldn't be a smart purchase for me at the moment.

I'm really looking for a bedroom set (including the bed - not the mattress, a nightstand, and a dresser) that doesn't cost too much over $2000, as I also want to buy a curio cabinet for my room. My question is, can I get decent quality furniture for this price, and if so, what brands should I be looking at? I've already found a Broyhill set (the attic heirloom collection?) that I liked, as the mink finish was very unique, but I found pretty poor reviews for them online. I then found a Vaughan-Bassett set I like, but once again found a lot of people bad-mouthing them. Now, I know that there will always be negative reviews for pretty much every company in existence, but I'm terrified of spending over $1000 on furniture that will only last a few years and quickly start to look like garbage. I want something more durable. I DON'T want to have to repurchase everything in 5 years.

Can anyone help me? I feel so overwhelmed at the moment between trying to find this furniture and a decent mattress. I just don't know if I'm being unrealistic (in other words, that the furniture in my price range is all pretty shoddy), what companies to stay far away from, etc.

Default Re: Buying my first bedroom set & overwhelmed - Broyhill, Vaughan..? Who should I avo

Its smart to watch your money when you are first starting out, and its doubly smart to avoid junk buys. Two ways to do this - read as much as you can about wood and build construction here on this forum and others, there's a lot of information here if you take the time to read it. Basically I've shared everything I've learned in 25 years of being in the trade, but you have to dig it out in the posts. Then, once you are up to speed:

1) Shop pre-owned, one piece at a time. Craigslist is perfect for that. Once you learn construction and build, its easy to spot the rats from the winners. Furniture that is in very good shape and is say... $ 5,000 new can be found pre-owned for $ 500, 10% of what it sold for originally. And it will last. You can change it out over the years as your budget allows.

2) Go to furniture stores and poke around for clearance and odd-lots. Every store has them. Again, don't focus on buying a set, but one piece at a time.

3) Buy new bedding through - never used. You can easily get by with 'hotel grade' bedding that will give you 5 years of good service before needing replacement.

Good luck

2)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AcidPop Guest

Default Re: Buying my first bedroom set & overwhelmed - Broyhill, Vaughan..? Who should I avo

Any furniture manufacturers that you would specifically avoid? I have been checking out some clearance items, but most have been pretty junky or really dinged up. I did a sweep through of Craigslist about a week ago, didn't spot anything I liked. A lot of very heavy looking, light oak pieces, which I strongly dislike. I'll keep looking, but I'm leaning toward new at the moment.

I will add that it's been quite hard to get a straight answer out of some of these employees. They say one thing and then I go online and find people saying the opposite. I just don't have any concept of what brands to avoid or look for.

I definitely need good bedding due to some chronic pain issues.
    Last edited by AcidPop; 09-24-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Ones I would avoid by manufacturer? Me? About 90 % of what's out there! I have a high standard.... Most of what is out there is not very well made, or marginal at best That's what the consumer wants - inexpensive furniture - and that's what the industry has delivered. You can have inexpensive or you can have well-made, but you can't have the two together.

A bed won't relieve your pain, that's a myth. I have half a dozen orthopedic surgeons that shop in my store and that topic comes up all the time. Every one of them will say it has far more to do with exercise and weight than the bedding brand you buy.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AcidPop Guest

Hmm. Looks like I'll have to settle for inexpensive, most likely. I'm not finding anything I find attractive on Craigslist - everything kind of resembles the monstrous oak sets that were popular when my parents were young. Just huge, honking pieces. I currently have their old set, so I'd prefer something the complete opposite!

It definitely won't solve it, but I think it would help. The mattress I have now is almost as old as I am. I walk an hour a day and am quite fit, but honestly the exercise just makes me more sore!

Brenda O Guest

Check out the newer latex mattresses (not memory foam). A bit pricey, but has been a god-send for us. They've probably come down in price since we bought ours about 3 years ago.

AcidPop Guest

Hi Brenda. Do you know what brand your mattress is?