Thread: Lazyboy recliner

campbtl Guest

Default Lazyboy recliner

My Mother recently purchased a new Lazyboy with the massage and heat in the chair. She waited 6 weeks for delivery, and was delighted with it when it finally arrived. She has back problems and found the chair to help a great deal with that. She immediately gave away her old (4 yrs) lazyboy to the neighbor who promptly drove it to Floriday as a gift for her mother-in-law. Four days later the motor failed. She's been calling repeatedly for a month now, to both the store where she made the purchase, and to the main office. They still have not sent a repairman, nor have they given her a date when one will appear. Unbelievable!
    Options? I can take the chair back to the store and demand a full refund. (The way they phrase the warentee gives me concern about the success of that)
    I can plaster the internet with negative opinions/ratings/reviews for the store and the company and threaten to continue until we get a repairman.
    Anything you can think of?

Default Re: Lazyboy recliner

Well, here's what typically happens....

If you get a motor failure on one of these, its usually when they are brand new - like you are experiencing. A simple motor replacement usually fixes the issue. However, if this was Made In China like most La-Z-Boy products, then there may be no spare parts in the USA, that's pretty common with pieces that originate overseas. They may not have a motor in country to replace it with. However, they usually will take the new one away and replace it in kind with the same piece and swap the whole chair. This is what you need to find out.

Trashing the company or the dealer on the internet does nothing. Your best bet is to contact your selling store and speak with the store manager - get their name - and ask them if they intend to replace the motor (and what is parts availability?) and if not are they replacing the whole piece? Then deal only with that person who's name you have written down. There's a solution here - but you need to approach it in a businesslike manner. If the store manager is unresponsive, then escalate to the District Manager of the region. Do not rant and rage on them, and don't threaten. People turn off when that happens. You get more being professional in your business dealings than you do raging. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

campbtl Guest

I usually keep pretty calm, but it has been 4 weeks of them avoiding us, and I was getting really mad. Thanks for your advice. I'll try to follow it, and I'll let you know what happens. Objectively.

Don't get mad, just stay the course. Deal with one person and tell them you expect a course of action. Let them know that if this is not resolved at least with a plan within X number of days, then they can come pick up the defective unit and issue you a refund or you will begin chargeback proceedings by such and such a date (assuming this was a credit card purchase). All you are asking for is a timetable for the part of the replacement unit, and like I said deal with ONE person there, and get their name. On any callbacks, go right to that person.

Good luck.

Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.