Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with new H&M sofa and furniture layout

Default Help with new H&M sofa and furniture layout

Hi Duane and forum friends. Wanted to let you know the bookcase that John Buchanan made for my husband's 60th is still our favorite piece, and to ask for your assistance in planning the layout and selecting a sofa for our new house. I have two beautiful H&M chairs from Duane in Weston blue leather: one is the Somerset with ottoman and the other is an office-like chair that will probably be put in the office.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair1.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	4054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair2.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	4055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greatroom_plan.png 
Views:	1162 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	4056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greatroom.jpg 
Views:	2147 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	4057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greatroom2.jpg 
Views:	1464 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	4058

The family room is actually a great room with two focal points: a large built-in and a fireplace on the perpendicular wall. The photos from the owner show her two leather sofas. My questions are:

1. Would it look like too much blue leather to put a blue H&M sofa with the Somerset chair and ottoman? Should I pick another color for the sofa?
    2. Given the size of the room (17 x 21), how would you lay it out?
    3. I know I need another chair . . . should I get an upholstered one?
    4. What other furniture would you put in the room? I have the Buchanan bookcase, a sofa table with French legs (would go in back of the sofa which you can see as you enter the room from the foyer), a breakfront with a glass tiger maple top and chest bottom, a cherry sideboard. Plus various end tables.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I don't what to overwhelm you all with pictures, but more are available if that would help.

Thanks a million.

MJM_CA Guest

Default Re: Help with new H&M sofa and furniture layout

I think the way it's laid out now with two sofas looks good. I would put the blue Somerset chair floating in the room near the entertainment center and fireplace. I would choose a different leather or upholstery for the sofa(s) and keep the blue only as an accent.

Just catching up....

I'd go with something that has interest from the back, like the H&M Sundance sofa or the brand new one (I forgot its name, but I bought one for the showroom) they had at Market.

I'd probably not do a blue sofa. Possible a gray or dark pewter to go with the blue chairs.

So we're working with the room in the two photos posted - to the right, correct?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Yes, the new room is the one with the brown leather sofas--the current owner's furniture. The Sundance is a beauty, but it's a little much for my taste. Duane, I don't know which one is the new one from the market. I have a nice sofa table that would go well in the back of a plainer sofa, like the City or Evening, although both of those are very long. Pewter or gray leather sounds lovely. I also gave some thought to picking up the brown in the wood of the Somerset chair, but would that be too dark? There is several windows in the room, but it doesn't get a lot of light because there is a long porch outside of the windows.

I see you have a G.L. Sawyer desk. Do you have a picture of it (and a price?). Another possible present for my husband.

Thanks for your help--I adore my blue Somerset chair but I feel she only goes with an upholstered sofa, which I don't want.

MADEINUSA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Just catching up....

I'd go with something that has interest from the back, like the H&M Sundance sofa or the brand new one (I forgot its name, but I bought one for the showroom) they had at Market.

I'd probably not do a blue sofa. Possible a gray or dark pewter to go with the blue chairs.

So we're working with the room in the two photos posted - to the right, correct?
    Any pictures of the new sofa Duane? And what is it called?

BevoGal Guest

That Somerset in Blue is gorgeous! I'd also like to know the name of the new sofa that is similar to the Sundance. I can't remember if it's mentioned in your market report -- will look there. I also agree that floating the blue chair by the fireplace, but keeping two sofas or a sectional in the same configuration would look nice in the room.

I like the two sofas too. What I can't figure out is what color leather and what size sofa.

BevoGal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zinninge View Post
    I like the two sofas too. What I can't figure out is what color leather and what size sofa.
    If I were you, I'd select a rich brown leather that matches the tone of wood in your blue chair. Perhaps a leather with red or gold/warm tones in a frame that curves in the arms as the chair does. The Sloane pictured in the site header is a nice complement. If your chair had ebony wood, or even a driftwood/washed wood, I'd consider the gray sofas. However, you need something warm to harmonize well with the chair. Then I'd add a nice oriental or tribal rug with royal blue (picking up the chair color), red, creams, etc. Duane had a nice one for sale posted recently -- with a great blue/red in it. Put some toss pillows on the sofa with an interesting patterns/shades, and toss a small complimentary lumbar in the chair. Add a cream/parchment throw over the arm of the sofa to soften it all. Hope this helps

Edited to add: These rugs are what I would picture in your room - http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...highlight=sale
    Last edited by BevoGal; 10-21-2012 at 08:52 PM.

I'm still liking a sectional for that room, Lisa. That's my top pick - its nearly a perfect layout for one. However, if you want to do sofa and loveseat, consider this new H&M series whose name I can't remember! I'm going to try to download the Market Photos this evening to my computer and once I do I'll find the photos and post them here.

G.L. Sawyer items are long gone, sorry!
    Duane Collie

Here's the new LaCross Sectional shown at Market. I like this one because its detailed in the back and sides, and I thought it sat great. Shown in Piazza Tobacco, which is a new leather color this market. Also new is the Hugo sofa in Steeplechase Polished leather, which I think would look nice with the existing H&M chairs you have. I really liked this sofa and ordered one for my showroom exactly as shown. It does have a curved front, however - which you might not like. As for the colors, the room is so neutral that you can take it in almost any direction you want. Are you going to be putting down a rug? If so, the rug will drive the color choice for the sofas more than that blue chairs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaCross2.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	4069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaCross1.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	4068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hugo.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	4067  
    Duane Collie