Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October 2012 High Point Market and Photos (mostly Hancock & Moore)

Default October 2012 High Point Market and Photos (mostly Hancock & Moore)

Spent a blitz day at Market, just beating out the Mother of All Thunderstorms and tucking in under the H&M building garage on my BMW motorcycle about four minutes before the skies opened up just before 8:30 a.m.. They were kind enough to give me a covered parking spot for the day (most coveted!) since I was on the bike. I went to Hancock and Moore, Councill, Jessica Charles, Taylor King, Bradington Young, Wildwood Lamps and Jonathan Charles before finishing at 5:30 p.m. and jumping back on the bike to ride home, getting in at midnight. Long day, and that last hour was a bit chilly on the ride. Market looked to be very lightly attended the day I was there.

Hancock and Moore rolled out a bunch of new leathers, including a spectacular Grade 5 hide from Europe that is probably the finest leathers I've ever seen on upholstery. New frames too, of course, and I'm always drawn to Alan Price's designs which appeal to what I like style-wise.

Councill is always fun, with delicious woods and inlays that are hard to resist. I bought several pieces for stock.

Jessica Charles - meh. Not much really exciting. I ordered a set of (6) of their dining chairs to be covered in H&M leather to go around a Councill Dining Table, however.

Taylor King has been very busy, with a new web site and simplified format in their product line. Hallelujah! They are going on a major expansion on their America's Pride collection and I think that's exactly the right track for them to be on. I bought several pieces in that collection for my showroom. Price/Value they are really hard to beat and its all USA made.

Bradington Young was a bit disappointing, though their new showroom (integrated with Hooker Furniture and Sam Moore) was terrific. They have a tendency to knock off Hancock and Moore's designs but they don't do a very good job of it and miss the styling cues by a wide margin. Their clone of H&M's Sundance sofa is laughable and they should be embarrassed to present that. Their knock-offs of the H&M Princeton Chair and Sadler Recliner were much better, but still - come on guys, hire your own designers.

Wildwood lamps is still the best lamp company. I always place orders for stock.

Jonathan Charles had a lot of wood case goods that appealed to me. Price point was excellent and workmanship was top-notch. The only thing...its all made in Vietnam, and I have always been a USA-made only store. I decided to throw caution to the wind and gave them a fairly good order, I think it will be well received. Their Mahogany Pie Crust table, for example, was very well done and 1/5th the price of one made in the USA.

I will start to post photos shortly, I do have to resize and image them all so it will take some time to get them all up.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

vintagemike Guest

Default Re: October 2012 High Point Market and Photos (mostly Hancock & Moore)

Thanks so much for all of the info on the Market. For the Taylor King America's Pride collection, what are they doing to expand it?

Vegas Guest

Looking forward to the photos! Glad you got a great parking space for the bike to keep dry.

twostupiddogs Guest

look forward to the photos

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemike View Post
    Thanks so much for all of the info on the Market. For the Taylor King America's Pride collection, what are they doing to expand it?
    Totally revamped with many more frames, and far more fabrics. I ordered (5) pieces in the new America's Pride collection - couldn't make up my mind so as I liked they way they all sat, so I bought the whole grouping. They are restructuring their entire promotional line up and 'King's Road' is going to fade away as is Cozy Creations and Casual Corners - all folded into America's Price. Its going to be a few weeks until all the sales material is out on it, however. I'm really jazzed on the new system, it will be less confusing to navigate and the value/quality is going to be one of the best in the industry.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by twostupiddogs View Post
    look forward to the photos
    Trying to get to them....too busy, there's been a LOT of freight coming in. Today, 28 cases of Root Candles from Ohio showed up, so there goes the rest of today putting the display together and merchandising them.
    Duane Collie

These are the two 'wow' pieces when you first come into the showroom, and they will be in the new National ads that Hancock and Moore will run shortly. Note that both these pieces have a custom 'piano' wood finish on them from sister company Councill - and H&M does not want to do this on a regular basis as it was too hard to keep the finish 'clean' during the upholstery process on the frames. Its a very high style finish and looked tremendous.

As I normally do, I photograph the piece and then the tag that shows the specs which will follow the photo of the piece itself. Prices are MSRP, for a ballpark range of a real sell price, plan on closer to half the MSRP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H1.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	4070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H1tag.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	4071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H2.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	4072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h2tag.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	4073  
    Duane Collie

Riddle Guest

I've always liked the shape of the Francoise sofa. This is a much more flattering color than the orangey-yellow they used when it first came out!

TexasMom Guest

Do you know if H&M introduced any more Love Seats or Apartment Size Sofas? I was hoping for more selection when I purchase one regular size leather sofa with a matching Love or Apartment size sofa.
    Thanks!

You know, I hate to admit it, but I don't remember. I was moving VERY fast through all the showrooms that day since I compressed a 2-day trip into 9 hours and I spent about half the time in the H&M showroom that I normally do. I did get photos of all the new pieces and I think there are a few smaller sizes, but not necessarily matching sofa/loveseat combos.
    Duane Collie