Thread: Need Suggestions for Pair of Leather Rocker/Recliners His/Hers!! HELP!! PLEASE! : )

sallygump50 Guest

Default Need Suggestions for Pair of Leather Rocker/Recliners His/Hers!! HELP!! PLEASE! : )

Just found this site and have enjoyed the info very much. My husband and I need a pair of
    really comfortable leather rocker/recliners to go on either side of the fireplace. These will be
    our everyday/relaxing/watching TV chairs. Will be located in our family room but I want them
    to look nice. To provide a feeling of the room: random natural hickory flooring with lots of
    variation in color tone....stacked stone fireplace.....kitchen and family room are open concept...
    has one wall of windows open to river view.

Husband is 6'2" and I am 5'7". We have grandchildren that enjoy being rocked. We have owned
    various Lazboys and Flexsteel rocker recliners through the years. We have an old leather
    Bradington Young recliner that is in our enclosed porch that is still beautiful.

Found a Flexsteel Latitudes that is OK but it has puffy arms and I am concerned after reading about
    them being made in China. Love H & M but I can't find rocker/recliners. B & Y no rocker/recliners in
    my area. Don't like the quality of Lane or Ashley. Found something called Southern Motion - was OK.

Please HELP - any ideas - suggestions!! Thanks so much!

Vegas Guest

Default Re: Need Suggestions for Pair of Leather Rocker/Recliners His/Hers!! HELP!! PLEASE! :

I hate to say how many recliners we've been through over the years, including rocker/recliner. All wasted money on junk, name brands that are very popular. I like my Bradington Young recliners but next time it will be nothing but Hancock & Moore. Please be careful with what you choose. I know H&M makes gliders but Duane will know about a rocker/recliner.

Default Re: Need Suggestions for Pair of Leather Rocker/Recliners His/Hers!! HELP!! PLEASE! :

You know comfort is a subjective thing, and what one person likes another may not care for! So I'm always reluctant to say 'buy this one, its comfortable'. You are correct in that Flexsteel Latitudes is 100 % made in China and in my opinion is not a whole lot better than the box it comes in, but they're not very costly, either.

Any motion piece is only as good as the mechanism that its built around. The industry standards - best ones in the business - are either Leggett and Platt or Universal Mech. H&M uses L&P and B-Y uses Universal. And while those are the best available in the marketplace, they could be made even stronger and better. I would love to see someone make an extruded aluminum mechanism running on nylon or synthetic bushings but every time someone tries to bring one to market, reliable sources tell me that L&P sues the pants off them until the give up and vanish. So while you can buy a very high quality frame and cover, you still may have to replace the mechanism at some point before the chair is actually in need of replacement.

Bradington Young makes most of their Wall Hugger Recliners as Swivel-Gliders (Suffix is "SG" on the end of the recliner model number), and H&M does them as 3xxx series units, offering about half a dozen. My top seller in this category is the # 3732 Austin Wall Hugger Swivel Glider (also available as a power unit).

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1444

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sallygump50 Guest

Thanks for the info. The spot these recliners will be placed is just next to the raised heart which is made of the dry stacked stone. If the recliner swivels I am concerned it could damage the side of the chair. Duane do you know if H & M or BY can be ordered in a recliner/glider without the swivel?

Thanks again for the info!

You can 'lock' the swivel on any base by drilling a hole in it and fastening it with a screw. Some frames may be able to be ordered with only a glider or rocker base as well....if you get to the point of selecting a model and need to know that I will be glad to make some calls and find out.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.