Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Storm Coming

Default The Perfect Storm Coming

Apparently coming to all of us on the East Coast Sun-Mon-Tues. I was listening to a weather scientist on WTOP radio on the way in this morning and this is going to be The Big One, according to him. He said that they are stunned at the numbers they are seeing, as three weather systems will come together and stall off the coast of New Jersey, further saying that this will be a storm of such magnitude that its never been seen over populated areas before. THAT got my attention. He went on to say that based on the models, this will surpass anything ever seen in modern, recorded weather times. And that the West to East steer winds are not present, so its going to sit and boil in one area until it burns itself out. Flooding expected, tons of rain, trees down, the whole enchilada.

http://www.wtop.com/884/3092498/Mega...ing-snow-to-DC

Looks like some of us are going to get walloped on the East Coast. If you don't have a generator, you can probably still buy one now. If you do have one, fill up all your gas cans and get a some batteries for the radio. Virginia Power has already come out and said to expect large outages, so if this thing hits Wash DC we might be out of power for a week or so. Get your stuff today from the Big Box stores while you still can if you need it. I may very well be closed and unable to connect via internet in the coming days, usually we lose the cable when it all goes out, and if the power is out no point manning the store. Not to be an alarmist, but the stores get wiped out as these weather systems approach.

One thing is for sure, all the leaves will be off the trees when this is done.
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-25-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Default Re: The Perfect Storm Coming

Sounds like a big storm indeed. Reminds me of all our hurricane prep we do here in the Houston area -- I personally have lived through two major hurricanes that were about 25 years apart. We have not had any activity this season, thankfully. Every year we say we will buy a generator in the off-season, and somehow we put it off. The large permanent ones are great and my old neighbors had one that kicked on like clockwork if the power ever went out. Our main battle is the heat while the power is out, and flooding combined with downed power lines. Luckily our roof withstood Hurricane Ike (2008), as so many folks were not so lucky (my nearby family had extensive damages from 90 MPH winds). Stay safe up there!

MADEINUSA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Apparently coming to all of us on the East Coast Sun-Mon-Tues. I was listening to a weather scientist on WTOP radio on the way in this morning and this is going to be The Big One, according to him. He said that they are stunned at the numbers they are seeing, as three weather systems will come together and stall off the coast of New Jersey, further saying that this will be a storm of such magnitude that its never been seen over populated areas before. THAT got my attention. He went on to say that based on the models, this will surpass anything ever seen in modern, recorded weather times. And that the West to East steer winds are not present, so its going to sit and boil in one area until it burns itself out. Flooding expected, tons of rain, trees down, the whole enchilada.

http://www.wtop.com/884/3092498/Mega...ing-snow-to-DC

Looks like some of us are going to get walloped on the East Coast. If you don't have a generator, you can probably still buy one now. If you do have one, fill up all your gas cans and get a some batteries for the radio. Virginia Power has already come out and said to expect large outages, so if this thing hits Wash DC we might be out of power for a week or so. Get your stuff today from the Big Box stores while you still can if you need it. I may very well be closed and unable to connect via internet in the coming days, usually we lose the cable when it all goes out, and if the power is out no point manning the store. Not to be an alarmist, but the stores get wiped out as these weather systems approach.

One thing is for sure, all the leaves will be off the trees when this is done.

The stores get wiped out?
    Do you mean you lose the furniture pieces?

MJM_CA Guest

I believe Duane meant emergency supplies and water gets scarce.

MADEINUSA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_CA View Post
    I believe Duane meant emergency supplies and water gets scarce.
    Got it
    My mistake,was in a hurry going through the post and shocked at the enormity and strength of the storm that is building
    Stay safe everybody

Riddle Guest

Keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed for those of you on the east coast. Take care.

Vegas Guest

Can hardly envision what your in store for with all the warnings on the news and internet.

Hope you and yours come through safe and sound. Whenever these big weather events happen I think about animals who are lost or strays and, horses, livestock, birds, all of it. Wish I could help and probably will in the best way I know how.

Judyg951 Guest

I hope everyone on the east coast is hunkering down and hanging in there with the storm.

TexasMom Guest

Any guess if the storms will affect production for Hancock Moore??

It won't slow them a bit, they were well out of the storm's path by several hundred miles, as are all their raw material suppliers.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.