Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Leather

eight pond farm Guest

Default Questions on Leather

where are the various leathers discussed? didn't know until i read this thread that the actual color we choose has involved with it a different tanner and quality. understand that this capri butternut is from germany and exceptional, but unfortunately the color isn't what we had in mind. do you describe somewhere, or better yet, rate, the h&m colors for leather quality?

eight pond farm Guest

Default Re: H&M 9844 City Sofa with Nails added in Capri Butternut

oh! i just found the 2011 leather manifest and see that capri is a tannery(?) and has several color choices. so, i guess my next question is: are all the leather color choices within a category/tannery ... such as "capri" the same feel/depth of color/hide quality? and assuming so, how do you, fearless leader, rate the various tanneries?

"Capri" is a series name, and within that series there are several colorways. It comes from the same tannery in Germany that Quintessence and Antelope originate from. Yes, all colors within a series have the same hand and texture, accounting for variations from one cow to another.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Correction.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    accounting for variations from one steer to another.

eight pond farm Guest

we're still trying to hone-in on the best leather for us. in our country home we are fairly outdoorsy. our dogs (8 PWDs.... medium size dogs, we keep toenails trimmed btw) are allowed on furniture... we want to have a leather that can withstand the onslaught of lifestyle. and yet, we want the best leather money can buy. it's a conundrum.

we're smitten with the idea of this Capri series... love how yummy you all describe this series' hand. is it strong enough for us do you think? or do we need bison hide or something?

what leather, from what tannery, can you recommend for us?

eight pond farm Guest

and iknowiknowiknow whatever we get we have to keep it cleaned. love the intel on cleaning/caring for the leather on this forum btw appreciate the caution regarding packaged leather cleaners. love that something as simple of soap (duh!) works. we're horsey here, what about saddle care products? what about saddle soap? is it to oily?

Quote Originally Posted by eight pond farm View Post
    we're still trying to hone-in on the best leather for us. in our country home we are fairly outdoorsy. our dogs (8 PWDs.... medium size dogs, we keep toenails trimmed btw) are allowed on furniture... we want to have a leather that can withstand the onslaught of lifestyle. and yet, we want the best leather money can buy. it's a conundrum.

we're smitten with the idea of this Capri series... love how yummy you all describe this series' hand. is it strong enough for us do you think? or do we need bison hide or something?

what leather, from what tannery, can you recommend for us?
    Yes it is. I don't think you should go with Capri though, not with those conditions. Save that leather for a special chair in a library or bedroom sitting spot. One of the hides I really like for hard usage yet its still a nicer aniline is Equestrian (GR3). It feels and performs much better than the finished leathers and yet seems to take a thrashing well for a pure aniline. It is a saddle leather, which means it will 'squeak' like a horse saddle does as the leather flexes. Another hide I like for heavier use is Atticus (GR2). It has a 'dry' look to it and more of a country lifestyle. Then there is Antelope (Gr4) which comes from the same tannery as Capri and almost feels like it, but it is a lightly protected leather. Take a look at those and see what you think.....
    Duane Collie

eight pond farm Guest

we're getting somewhere by 'dry' look. what do you mean? non-polished (we're rather adverse to shiny btw.) the beams are a flat brown, no luster whatever. and no yellow/red tones either. so would a dry look mean lo luster? ..a good thing for us.

Yes, more of a leather that doesn't look too highly finished. Bit of a more natural look. That way you won't have to worry as much with markings, etc. It has some luster - but not a lot (it varies from batch to batch)
    Duane Collie

eight pond farm Guest

....another question/comment
    don't know if i'm doing this right...trying to upload a photo into this comment...

This sofa is from the Sundance Catalogue. why we like it is:

dimensions are what we want.
    leather color is what we want.
    two cushions on back and two cushions on seat are both reversible. there is no velcro holding up the back cushions, and the front of the back on the sofa is all leather.

what we DON'T like is that there is no way we can find out about the leather quality. and not much in the way of commentary to find out the frame quality.

does anyone here have any experience with the Sundance leathers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41964.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	4119
    Ogden Leather Collection
    The most bountiful seat in the house. Sumptuous feather-and-down-wrapped seat cushions, an astounding 45" deep, make our Ogden sofa the ultimate destination. The full-grain leather is aniline dyed for rich, nuanced color. Ogden’s pleated at the rolled arms, finished with burnished bronze nailheads and edged in natty welting. Supporting each piece, a solid, corner-blocked hardwood frame, handcrafted to withstand the rigors of 21st-century life. Two feather-and-down throw pillows. Made in the USA. This item will ship from our supplier in 2 to 4 weeks. Additional shipping $425. 92"W x 45"D x 38"H.