Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first post ready to buy sofa

Default first post ready to buy sofa

Hi All. I usually don't make public posts but realize this is the proper protocol so here goes - bare with me, I tend to ramble.

Background: we are looking to buy a quality leather sofa to replace our fabric one in our family room. The Settlement sofa fits our style as well as the chair and a half and side chair that is currently in good use in the room. Luckily the dimensions are very similar all the way around EXCEPT for the seat height and arm height. Is it possible to make adjustments to the legs on the sofa so the sofa sits lower? Probably talking between 2-3 inches? Would cutting down the legs make the sofa look funny since it is such a massive sofa? Would this constitute a special order? I find curious that the Settlement is the only sofa whose seat height is so high (23" vs. 19-21" ). Do seat cushions relax quite a bit after sitting on them over time? We are looking at having the sofa done in Capri Butternut. The information on this forum was "spot on" - the leather is "YUMMY! SOFT!" Didn't think I would ever consider a leather sofa but after all the information I gathered from the forum, I'm convinced it's a wise investment ....and something we can enjoy for many years.

We are also considering purchasing an ottoman but cannot decide on what would look best. I really like the "tufted look" but hubby is concerned that dust and stuff like dog hair will gather in the buttons making it a pain to keep clean. Our family room has a lot of activity as it is where we probably spend 90% of our time when we are home. We also have an open floor plan to the kitchen so lots of activity. We have looked at the 069 Campaign Bench but think it is too big with a width of 59" and depth of 44" as it would take up too much of the floor space. Other options are the 072 Campaign Ottoman (a 37" square) or a round one (39" round, I think). We mainly use the ottoman for a foot rest so might need to consider other decorating ideas. The ottoman is not as high priority as the sofa but considering that we live in CA and will need to pay for shipping it might make best sense to make a full order.

Any thoughts on these are greatly appreciated. If Duane's post on Hancock and Moore's Black Friday deal occurs would definitely like to take advantage of it
    Thanks, Lyn

Default Re: first post ready to buy sofa

Hi Lyn,

You can usually get about 3/4" inch or sometimes less on a leg cut to a sofa, but not 2" to 3". For that you would have to go to a custom frame mod and that's going to get costly. Yes, the Settlement is a big sofa, designed for tall people, hence the proportions you are seeing. But it can be modified, probably would cost around $ 1K to custom size it, seat height only.

On ottomans, the tufted ones actually stay better looking longer as they are tight oh the leather. Non-Tufted ones will 'puddle' and relax/stretch the leather with use. Dust in the tufts takes just seconds to wipe down.

If doing an ottoman to use with the sofa try to get one that is at least 2" lower in height than the seat height of the sofa. They tend to be more comfortable to use that way.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

After reading the Hancock and Moore Black Friday is on, would love to take advantage of it.

I'm looking at the legs on the Settlement sofa and wondering what the height is? What do you think about cutting - after the fact - the smaller bottom portion of the leg? Not sure if it will make much of a difference to the arm height though - hard to tell the exact dimensions of the legs via online photos.

In regards to customizing the seat height, how would that affect getting replacement cushions if and when necessary? Also I'm wondering how the arm height of the sofa will look sitting next to existing pieces with a lower arm height - would it be disproportionate?

Another option is to look at different designs that closely matches our criteria which essentially is a sofa with the largest inside depth and width dimensions while complimenting the existing styles in the room. Both the York Sofa and Ripley Sofa might work but wondering how they would look with other furniture that is most similar to Settlement in style. The larger City Sofa also works although we would have to compromise on inside depth. Are there any other styles you can think of?

Aiya The more I second guess myself and the more decisions I need to make the more difficult it becomes. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Best, Lyn

You have to be REALLY careful in modifying sofa designs, because it would be a very costly 'oops' if you don't like what you created.

Most sofa legs cannot be trimmed over than 3/4" as a general rule of thumb. On the Settlement you would have to move to a different leg as those can't be trimmed, either a shorter bun foot like on the Austin or Kodiak, or to a wedge leg that can be trimmed.

Customizing the seat deck height would be a frame modification and perhaps some in the cushions, I'd have to consult with them at H&M to figure out the best way based on how much drop you wanted. Most likely it would be all out of the frame as you don't want thin seat cushions and thick back cushions.

Usually arm height variance from piece to piece in the same room is inconsequential and no one will notice it but you.

Kodiak # 9103 is the closest to a Settlement without the size.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

Thanks for your quick response. I have spent much of the day looking at other sofa designs to see if a compromise can be found. Alas, I keep coming back to the Settlement - the depth is ideal as well as style but unfortunately, the extra 3" in the height is plaguing me. Argh!

Sounds like cutting the legs isn't a smart thing to do - definitely do not want a costly "OOPS!" You mentioned moving to different legs. Is that possible? I would be fine with a shorter bun foot or a wedge leg. (Not sure how much this would take off the overall dimensions though). What would you say is the minimum height of a sofa leg?

In regards to customizing the seat deck, would it be possible to find out options? Ideally would like to drop the sofa about 3 inches (may be able to work with dropping it 2") and definitely do not want thin seat cushions and thick back cushions. And of course, cost?

Thanks so much. You are a tremendous help!!
    Best, Lyn

Hi Lyn,

About the thinnest leg they make is the one on the Author chair, a shallow bun foot. That would probably drop the piece 1" to 1.5" and the best part is you can always screw on a larger bun foot down the road if you wanted to. Also, the center two legs are decorative only and non-structural, so those can be deleted or you can just use one in the center if you like that better.

To do a frame cut down on that one is going to be about $ 1K. I'll check on it to get a firm price for a 3" drop.
    Duane Collie

Well I've spent another day dissecting sofa designs - this time however I "required" my husband to look as well. While we wait for custom options/price on a 3" drop on the Settlement - thanks Duane for checking on this - thought we should take a look at other sofas that we could be happy with. Three that we came across are the larger City Sofa, the Harrison and the Rancher. I've read several complimentary reviews on the City sofa being a solid, comfortable sofa but am wondering if anyone is familiar with the other two? Does the Harrison have a curve to it? The dimensions are very similar to the City, does it sit the same - comfort wise? How comfortable are sofas without back cushions like on the Rancher? Do they tend to be harder/stiffer as opposed to sinking into a cushion? The side chairs that will be next to the sofa have cushions. Would a sofa without cushions look off-balance?
    Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!

Duane, I will pm you for prices on these so I have a comparison.

Thanks!

Price to custom cut down the seat height on a Settlement is $ 450, better than I thought it would be.

The City is not even close to sitting like a Settlement however. Rancher is much stiffer in the back. Harrison is probably the best alternative if the target sofa is a Settlement.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane
    Thanks so much for checking into custom modifications. $450 certainly sounds reasonable to get a sofa to personal specifications.

Would you mind elaborating on your comments between the City and Harrison. Do they sit differently comfort wise? I first concentrated on a "deep" couch since our current sofa is the same depth as the Settlement but 19" H and in fabric - it is the "overstuffed" look - big, loose back pillows with several throw pillows that one sinks into - Am wondering if the leather sofas I'm inquiring about will have the same "sink into" comfort? (After looking carefully at the dimensions of the Harrison, it appears to have additional inside length and width of both the City and Settlement, the right seat height but lacks the depth of the Settlement. Have not been able to find many comments about it though)

I read on a forum post that H & M will increase the overall depth by removing batting on back cushions at no additional charge. Can you comment on how this affects the comfort of a sofa? The sofa will be mainly used for lounging around and watching tv by family on a daily basis. It may solve the depth issue on Harrison but hoping to get more feedback about comfort.

I apologize for making this so difficult. I have spent considerable time on the forum reading about considerations but without having a local furniture store to try out the sofas am forced to take a "leap of faith" - plus I tend to "over think" and "over question" everything - drives my husband crazy! lol! Sorry. On the bright side, I've learned so much from your forum that I feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! This Thanksgiving I'm thankful for: a forum such as this that is providing me with a clear education on purchasing a quality leather sofa - so that hopefully (with care) I will not have to look for another sofa for another 20+ years. hee! hee!

Best, Lyn

I hesitate making comfort recommendations - that's always so subjective and really applicable to the person trying out a pieve. What is comfortable for one person is not for another. Sofas that have back cushions vs tight backs will usually be more plush to sit in, that's pretty much a given.

Generally speaking, a tight back sofa will have a much firmer back - and usually are not built that deep. Very few of the H&M products - if any - have that sink into feeling. That's not really deemed desirable in better upholstery and usually a sign of a poor suspension.

Removing/adding a small portion of cushion cores is usually limited to 1/2" or so, otherwise you have to modify the casing to accept the trimmed or built up core. Usually the benefits are negligible when you do that.

Never too many questions! That's what this forum is here for.....
    Duane Collie