Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I order for stock leather on an Austin High Back Tilt Chair?

Default What should I order for stock leather on an Austin High Back Tilt Chair?

I'm going to ask YOU - the forum members - to help me out here. I recently sold my floor model of my H&M # 2038NB High Back Tilt Chair with Ottoman in Town and Country Married Cover, Cavalier Oxblood. Since this is probably the most comfortable chair that H&M makes of all their frames, I always keep one on the floor. Now, I can re-order in the promotional leathers and keep the chair and ottoman price in the mid $ 2K for the set if I do so. However, I'd kind of like to bring it in with GR 4 Capri Butternut on it - which is just about the perfect hide for the ultimate comfort chair. However that will make the combo in the mid $ 3K price range, another $ 1K or a even little more. Now, we all know what looks and feels nice on the chair - the Capri. But the question becomes:

"Would you as a consumer walking in the store be 'turned off' by the price tag in Capri? Would you rather see the less costly leather and then upgrade off the swatch to order?"

I only have room to floor one unit for display. Looking for your feedback to help me decide!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

artielange Guest

Default Re: What should I order for stock leather on an Austin High Back Tilt Chair?

For me, knowing the difference between Cavalier and Capri would be worth the upcharge and I would always prefer Butternut to Oxblood. I regret getting the Document leather on my original H-M pieces. The real leathers are just so sumptuous. However, there are customers who feel that the $2K chair is a maximum price. Have you sold other higher priced hides from having the Cavalier covered Austin on your floor?

hglaber Guest

Default Re: What should I order for stock leather on an Austin High Back Tilt Chair?

Maybe this seems too close to the shady, "red slash" tags in the big, low-to-midrange furniture stores, but how about getting the nice leather, but marking on the tag the Capri price along with a notation like "Other leathers starting at $xxxx.xx"? That would them know the high price isn't the only option, at least opening a dialogue instead of them looking at the tag, gasping, and just moving on.

I bet more will choose a better leather in that situation than will do so when the program leather is on it and they have to imagine the better one from a dealer sample.

Duane,

I still remember the awesome Sundance sofa in Capri butternut you had on the floor. If we had room we would had purchased it in a flash. Not only did you purchase a sofa that was among the highest price available, you committed to your decision based on your values regarding leather. That sofa became a statement for your mantra, quality, and service.
    Ask yourself how many orders for Sundance and Capri did that single sofa generate? How can your customers come to appreciate the " real" leathers unless you have them available? I can see document everywhere H&M is sold. The Keeping Room is unique and it should stay true to its owners' values. I vote for the Capri... I just might make the trip and buy it off the floor myself.

Larry
    Last edited by cuse69; 11-20-2012 at 07:17 PM.

graymar Guest

Duane,
    We are very much enjoying our Kodiak sofa, chair and ottoman in Capri Butternut. The leather is unbelievably soft, unlike any other. I must admit I touch it frequently, still amazed that it is actually leather. This upgrade was worth every penny. I predict that if your order the Austin in Capri Butternut, it won't be on your floor for long.

Ci2Eye Guest

I agree with hglaber, I would order it in Capri but make a note somehow the the same chair is available starting at a lower price. It's like a car on a showroom floor, you have to make people fall in love with it. They'll sometimes settle for something cheaper but a car that is unforgettable will draw them back in. As with a car, once they see this chair, they won't forget it. It'll be the one they keep thinking about and may came back to.

Automakers call this a "halo" car. It's the expensive, beautiful, and often very fast car that most people can't afford but it creates a halo effect for the entire line and elevates perceptions of the brand in consumers' minds. The theory is that once they've fallen in love with the halo car, they will buy something cheaper from the same company.

Riddle Guest

I'm probably not the right person to comment since I have a sofa in Capri Butternut and just ordered a chair in the new Ricardo Camel.

I don't think most people are skilled at guessing how a particular chair will look and feel based on a sample - even a large one. It may not move as fast in Capri, but it will sell. Capri Butternut is hard to resist.

Vegas Guest

Absolutely, the Capri leather.

Tell me about the Ricardo Carmel. Sounds great.

OK...CAPRI it is....I'll order my floor model during the Black Friday sale so at least I can make it 5% less in price when it arrives.

Ahh...the new Ricardo is a GR 5 leather that is top-of-the-line. They just gush about this new leather at H&M and are very excited about it. I saw it made up at Market and its rich-looking (rich in price, too), has great color depth, is super soft with a very slight waxy finish to it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

I'm late to chime in, but my opinion is to go for Capri =) People who love the art of furniture will appreciate it properly, and yes, it will sell!