Thread: Low, medium and high end leather furniture construction

vilago Guest

Default Low, medium and high end leather furniture construction

I have read a couple of posts here where it was said that there's a place on this forum where you can learn how leather furniture is constructed, so that one can be informed when buying. Can someone show me where it is? is it a sticky?

While I visited the Hancock and moore website and saw their nice video on how the couch and chair are constructed, I'd really like to know the different levels of construction quality, where compromises are usually made, and how that might effect the long term durability of a piece.

While very high end furniture can be distiguished by its detailed "ornamental" appearance, I personally prefer a simpler neutral design BUT still want all the quality craftsmanship and long term comfort associated with a good piece. Does something like this exist? I don't really need hand carved legs or anything like that. I'm hoping this will save money too...

That being said, I've also read on this forum that more money does not always equal longevity. Could I buy a "medium" end manufacturer to get a simpler design and save money but still get the same comfort and durability of a "high" end?

AZJoe Guest

Default Re: Low, medium and high end leather furniture construction

I am not Duane but Hancock and Moore has a lot of designs that aren't overly ornate.

The City sofa for example. Nice and simple.

vilago Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    I am not Duane but Hancock and Moore has a lot of designs that aren't overly ornate.

The City sofa for example. Nice and simple.
    I like that one!
    I actually realized after posting that the keeping room is very close to me since I live in the metro area. just my good luck i supposed. I'm definitely taking a trip down there to see what prices are and what's available. I would still like to see a video or description of construction though.

AZJoe Guest

Well here is an example of a piece made in china.
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-take-it-apart

Didn't you say you watched a video already on H&M's construction?

Duane will come in here and drop some knowledge but typically where corners are cut are inferior suspension, use of cardboard and other cheap materials, loose fitting leather(look how tight the arms on that city sofa are wrapped), etc. I am sure the list goes on and on.

vilago Guest

That sort of what I was looking for, but also "things to look for" so that when I'm inspecting it, I can tell it's high quality construction apart from the brand name. A crappy quality item may be easier to spot like in that thread, but what about one that has some high quality features on the surface to make it appear high end, but cut corners in areas you can't see?

Well, I wrote this whole, long rambling thing out back in 2007 over on Garden Web, so take a read and then if you have further questions come back here and we'll go over them. I stopped posting on Garden Web soon after writing this as they kept banning me for being 'too commercial' in my posts, and I started this forum instead....

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...235008955.html
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.